Join now - be part of our community!

missing mic in windows 7? (VGN-AW31S)

profile.country.GB.title
Martyn123
Explorer

missing mic in windows 7? (VGN-AW31S)

Hi I used to have a built in microphone that worked under Vista (it shipped with Vista). I've since installed windows 7 (initially 32 bit home premium and now 64 bit professional). I can't seem to get any joy from the built in mic. Using only drivers that came with vista and the nvidia package from Sony.... anyone else come accross this?

control panel -> sound (recording tab) lists an ATAPI internal jack (not enabled) and a 3.5 mm jack (enabled and default)

Martyn

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
lesleece
New

I am no expert but I have just upgraded to windows 7 as well. I think you have got the wrong microphone set as default. Go to Control panel -sound-recording. If you right click the microphone with the 3.5mm jack and disable it. Click the microphone with the internal ATAPI jack and set it as default. If the icon for the disabled microphone dissapears you can right click anywhere in the white box in recording tab window and tick show disabled and disconnected devices. Your internal microphone should now work. I had trouble then with it only working with certain applications but not with others. After a lot of messing around I found that if I right clicked on the microphone (now set as default) and then clicked the advanced tab, I unchecked the 2 boxes under the Exclusive Mode and now microphone works great with all applications.

Hope this helps

Lesley