Join now - be part of our community!

Model Code not recognised

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Owenss

Model Code not recognised

I have a couple of questions regarding my Vaio SVE1511C5E with a model/product number 54317912 that i bought is August 12.

every time i enter the model number the sony sites tell me it is not a valid model number.

I have checked in the bios and on the serial number sticket that it is the correct number?

I am looking to upgrade to Win 8. depending on the Sony support page i go to I get different answers as to being supported or not.

if use the Vaio upgrade for windows 8 page my product number is not reccognised?

If i go to the Are customised to order models are supported  mine is on the list (SVE1511C5E)

Which is correct?

I have run the Win 8 compatability program an it says

Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database.

How can i find which firmware i have or an alternative compatable drive if needed.

lastly an error on the compatability of the Intel USB3 extension host controller Driver. is there an alternative driver?

So it boils down to Is my Vaio upgradable to Win 8 as i was led to believe when i purchased it. If so will all the hardware work correctly?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Owness,

Thanks to information from _anders & Massimo_Vaio posted in this thread - Model not recognized for Sony Windows 8 Upgrade Kit it would seem that a sending an email to Mentor Media requesting that they add the Vaio serial number to their database seem to be a temporary solution..

I am waiting for confirmation but I believe this may be the correct email address to use to contact Mentor Media - enquirywin8EU@mentormediacorp.com

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Owenss,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Looking at the Vaio upgrade to windows 8 product validation site you need to enter the first part of your Vaios serial number in box A & the second part in box B

Click here for information on where to find the product code and serial number of your VAIO

Owenss

Hi Thalamus,

That is my problem Box A does not recognise my product number. Every screen that asks for the product number e.g. Box A says invalid number. I had to register my Vaio by phone because of this and even sending a technical query fails because I can't enter the Product number? It is anoying as my only option would be to phone a premium rate number to speak to a Sony representitive.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Owenss,

I have asked if someone from Sony can check this out for you, as soon as receive a reply I'll post again..

Owenss

Hi Thalamus,

Many thanks.

I did email the support desk and they have solved some one of the logins that i could not get me product number recognised. They said that part of the problem was my model was a create your own model?

However, I still can't access the Sony Win 8 upgrade kit page to order my CD to enable me to upgrade to Win 8. 

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Owenss wrote:

However, I still can't access the Sony Win 8 upgrade kit page to order my CD to enable me to upgrade to Win 8. 

Ok one step forward..

Let's see if I can get someone to resolve your Sony Windows 8 upgrade order problem..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Owenss,

just checking if anyone has been in contact with you or wether you have had any success with ordering the Windows 8 Upgrade kit.?

Owenss

Hi Thalamus,

Had an e-mail on the 9th Nov saying it had been escalated within Sony support so am keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Owens,

glad to see someone from support has been in contact..

It would seem that there is a problem with some Create to Order models serial numbers failing when trying to order the Windows 8 upgrade kit, hopefully the issue will be resolved soon..

If I can get any more info I'll update this thread..:smileyhappy:

Owenss

I have just received my Windows 8 hard copy disk from Microsoft. Just need to be able to order the Sony Win 8 upgrade kit DVD and make the switch.

I sent a reply back to Sony Support as I had not heard anything more but no news yet?