Join now - be part of our community!

My external hdd doesn't appear on 'my computer' list

joe0727y2k4
Visitor

My external hdd doesn't appear on 'my computer' list

:slight_frown: i bought this about 2 months ago. at first use it was fine, plugged and played it alright, but recently i can't seem to open it anymore. when i plugged it to my laptop(vgn-cr21z/r) it just shows the 'safely remove hardware', double click it and checked its properties are all working fine even the drivers are updated. but still not listed in the 'computer' menu. what can i do? please help...:smileysad:

3 REPLIES 3
waterside
Visitor

Hi Joe
Windows does seem a bit reluctant to show removable HDDs sometimes, but if you've tried a few times, restarted Windows, closed and reopened Windows Explorer and changed your underpants too, perhaps there's a fault with the drive? Does it still whirr when you plug it in? Have you tried it on a different computer?
Paul

joe0727y2k4
Visitor

hello paul,
thank you for responding to my post. yeah i think you are right. something is wrong with my portable hdd. and yeah i tried it to other pc's but it still is the same. it doesn't show on the computer's list. i don't know what to do with it now. can it still be fixed, my hdd? :slight_frown: oh yeah, it does still whirrrr when i plug it in... :slight_smile:

HenrikPscheidl
Visitor

you need a drive-letter.

maybe 😧 for example.

how? go to start, properties, administration, computer administration, HDD-administration. now you see you harddisk and you extern harddisk. now you have to give a letter to the extern harddisk.

sorry for my bad english :slight_smile: