Join now - be part of our community!

my RX 306 dvd writer does'nt work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thomashouston
Visitor

my RX 306 dvd writer does'nt work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an RX 306 and my latest problem is that the DVD drive appears not to work. It does not recognise a sony DVD + RW dvd disc. The disc has a code of DPW120 which allows extended play. I thought I had it sussed as there was a download for a firmware upgrade on the Sony Vaio site which enabled the Pioneer dvd writer to recognise discs that could be recorded at more than 1x speed. I downloaded the patch and it changed nothing!!!!

Any ideas anyone please?????

Incidentally, what are Sony doing putting a pioneer dvd writer in their kit? Don't they have Sony DVD writers???? Also what the hell is a Samsung CD drive doing in a Sony PC???????

:angry:

2 REPLIES 2
EzDoezIt
Visitor

You are using the wrong media for your drive. You must use DVD-R or DVD-RW media not DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD-RAM media.

The update for your drive is to prevent problems when using media that is rated at higher speeds than 1X, however your drive will still only write at the speed your drive is rated at. (Probably 2X for DVD-R and 1X for DVD-RW.)

I have no idea what Sony's reasoning is for shipping their computers with a competing format DVD than the one they are backing. It seems they want to cover all bases with the competing media formats because they have just released a DVD drive that can read and write both DVD-R and DVD+R media.

VAIOneer
Visitor

Just to confirm something - if you do have a Pioneer DVD writer, make sure you do the firmware updates.

Pioneer have admitted there is a problem with the drives without this update (but what they won't tell you is that some of these drives can literally burn a CD :thinking: )