Join now - be part of our community!

New computer blocked

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
caroleclarke58
Visitor

New computer blocked

Hello,

I've purchased a Vaio notebook today and set up, went onto streaming for Barca footy match when a message came up, computer is blocked and the metropolitan police are asking for £100 because apparently i've visited an illegal site.  I haven't.  Can anyone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Carole,

There are some suggestions towards the bottom of the page of that link, but I have no idea whether they will work.

One sure way is to return your notebook to factory settings using the recovery partition on the hard drive. To access the recovery utility tap F10 at boot. You will lose any personal data and third party programs but as the computer is new this should not be too much of a problem.

Once restored and working create your recovery disks!

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi caroleclarke58,

It is a malware scam. Have a look at the following link.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/02/13/metropolitan-police-malware-warning/

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
caroleclarke58
Visitor

Hello Rich,

Thank you ever so much for your reply.  I was wondering if you know how I can get rid of this 'malware' scam, I can't use the laptop and it's brand new.

Carole

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Carole,

There are some suggestions towards the bottom of the page of that link, but I have no idea whether they will work.

One sure way is to return your notebook to factory settings using the recovery partition on the hard drive. To access the recovery utility tap F10 at boot. You will lose any personal data and third party programs but as the computer is new this should not be too much of a problem.

Once restored and working create your recovery disks!

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
caroleclarke58
Visitor

Hello Rich,

It seems to have worked.  Just wanted to thank you.

Cheers

Carole

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're very welcome Carole  :slight_smile:

Did you follow suggestions in the link or restore to factory settings?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
caroleclarke58
Visitor

Hello Rich,

Restored to factory settings then back up discs.

Cheers

Carole

gugabackhand
Visitor

Nicely done. Always keep in mind that reloading the OS will delete your files. Make sure you have everything backed up monthly. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif