Join now - be part of our community!

New FZ31Z problem with fan, noise and heat

modavaio
Visitor

New FZ31Z problem with fan, noise and heat

Hi there,

I just bought the new Vaio FZ 31 Z (T8200 Pennryn processor, 2.4ghz, 4go RAM - only 3 recognized by Windows- )

I have a problem: after 2 hours of installation (!!) I see that the fan is ALWAYS running very fast even if I don't use any applications. That makes a lot of noise, like my previous Dell desktop with Pentium 3.0gh (was very hot!)

So, I'm wondering if it is a problem or "normal". Tis machine is expansive and the fan running so fast when I do nothing has no sense..

What do you think?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

Modavaio,

Welcome to ClubVaio :smileygrin:

We have 02 (two) possible solutions here:

Solution:

NOTES:

* Please bear in mind that a fan is a mechanical device and that it is normal for it to make some noise. However, it is possible on certain VAIOs to reduce the noise.
* Please note that reducing the noise will also decrease the performances of your VAIO.

First try the following solution (which does not apply to every VAIO model):

1. Restart your VAIO.
2. Press F2, when you see the Sony Logo.
3. In the BIOS, select Power with the arrow keys.
4. Select Thermal Control Strategy and press ENTER.
5. Select Silence.
6. Press F10 and then ENTER to save the changes and exit.

If the above option is not available in the BIOS:

1. Right-click the Powerpanel icon in the system tray.
2. Click Edit/Create Profiles, then double-click Thermal Control Strategy-Performance.
3. Change the settings to Quiet.

or

# If the issue is still not resolved, perform a full recovery.
# If the issue remains after performing a recovery on your VAIO, please contact VAIO Link for further assistance.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I just bought the new Vaio FZ 31 Z 

Hi modavaio

have you checked what processes are running in Task Manager.?

modavaio
Visitor

Thnaks to you two for your precious answer. I will try tonight but I already went to Bios and there was no power management there..

I will try the second solution.

I checked the processes and it makes noise also if I just keep windows (ieplore) without anything else.

When I start de PC, just after the Vaio logo, the fan begin to work and never stop.

THANKS

martynrb
Visitor

Good morning folks.
I also recently bought an FZ31Z and I was impressed with how peaceful it ran after my previous laptop SZ5!
Mine is very quiet, and fan only comes on full when working hard with games, and even then, it's not intrusive.
I'd suggest you back up your personal data then try the Vaio recovery process.
Martyn.

carloscerros
Visitor

Hi modavaio,

After how much time (minutes & seconds) fan begins to work without stopping?

In my opinion thermal probe of processor can be defective.
I suggest to open an id case @ Sony support or eSupport so you can have an advice from Sony.

modavaio
Visitor

Dear All,

Thanks again. It is very helpfull for me.

First of all, I'm happy someone bought it and does not hear anything.

than, Yesterday, I ask to an exchange to Sony. They have it now and I'm waiting for answer. (I need it to work).

Indeed, it is maybe the processor because, I needed more than two hours for Vsita first installation...

For the last question, most of the time, the fan begins immediatly after Bios, so immediatly, or, If I it did'nt work for some hours, when the desktop is lunched. (without video, games or..)

Thanks Again!

modavaio
Visitor

Hi there,

I have the possibility to have a new one. Or to choose another one. Schould I take the FZ31M to avoid the problem (lower processor...)

modavaio
Visitor

Ok guys,

I have done an exchange and I have the VAio FZ 31M no. battery life longer but SAME PROBLEM.

Fan noise at maximum anytime! :devil:

I called sony : "dear sir it the normal mode of work of FZ series!" COME ON ! The fan wich works like that when the processor in at 1 or 2 % of work... COME ON

Unbelievable..

I found some persons on the web with same problem and other without fan problems. Should exist a solution.

I tried the abve proposed solutions, but nothing in bios and nothing in softwares...

PLEASE HELP