Join now - be part of our community!

New hard drive, now camera won't work can't locate driver

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
johfairb
Visitor

New hard drive, now camera won't work can't locate driver

Advice please. I had my VAIO VGN-SZ4.MN/B hard drive replaced by a local repair shop all seemed OK but now can't get the camera to work and can't locate the driver for it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You are using 32-bit Windows?

If yes, I am 99% sure the USB Video Device is your camera and it has the default Windows camera driver installed.  This is the wrong driver.

Try forcing it to install the correct driver.

Double-click on this USB Video Device, choose the driver Tab and force it to Update the driver as in the post above using the 'Have Disc' method.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You can download the Camera Driver from the support page for your model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-SZ4MN_B

You may also have to download the Original Utilities Package and see if there are one or two camera utiility programs in there.  I haven't downloaded the Utilities as they are a large download but I expect there will be a 'Vaio Camera Utility' and a 'Vaio Camera Capture Utility' available to install.

:wink:

johfairb
Visitor

Thanks Biencogo, system tells me that the driver has been installed howvere when the notebook seraches for it it comes up with Xerox workcentre pro scanner? I assume that's a coincidence? Can't find the program to get the camera functional

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is the correct camera driver installed?  Go to Device Manager and expand 'Imaging Devices'.

Is your camera shown as 'Sony Visual Communications Camera VGP-VCC5'.  If it is then the correct driver is installed. 

If not, you must reinstall the correct driver. Do not let the system search for a driver - it obviously finds the wrong one.  Do it manually as below. The driver must be installed from Device Manager.  Find the camera there with a yellow ! warning sign next to it - is could be called USB Camera or the like: -

1. Find the device in Device Manager and double-click on it.

2. Go to Driver tab and select Update Driver.

3. Select Browse my computer for driver software.

4. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

5. Select Have Disk....

6. Select Browse....

7. Browse to your downloaded driver folder (from my lasy post ) containing the .inf file. (\\Camera\VGP-VCC5\R5U870FL.INF)

8. Next ..........

9. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".

10. Close & Re-Boot

I have downloaded the Original Utilities Package for your model and there are 2 camera utilities you will have to install in addition to the driver:

Vaio Camera Utility

Vaio Camera Capture Utility

Here are the contents of the Original Utilities Package: -

profile.country.en_SE.title
TimGIlesUK
Visitor

And by chance would you be trying Windows Vista/7 64 bit?

If so, you will need to search in google for a driver (Sz4 webcam windows 7 64)

johfairb
Visitor

Many thanks Biencogo and Tim,

In my program files I now at least have a camera capture utility that gives me the screen. However neither I nor the utility can find the device.

In Device Manager and under Imaging devices I have my HP printer scanner and a USB video device which when I explore I'm told is "working properly" although I don't know what it is and also has a functioning driver from Microsoft. How do I locate my camera please?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You are using 32-bit Windows?

If yes, I am 99% sure the USB Video Device is your camera and it has the default Windows camera driver installed.  This is the wrong driver.

Try forcing it to install the correct driver.

Double-click on this USB Video Device, choose the driver Tab and force it to Update the driver as in the post above using the 'Have Disc' method.

johfairb
Visitor

Biencogo,

Many thanks, yes I am using 32 bit and you were better than 99%. You hit 100% It worked!

Thanks for your patience!

Now all I need to do is learn to control the camera actions which seem to be disabled although I never really got to grips with it  before but need it now our son is off at University.

Regards John