Join now - be part of our community!

new laptop FS415E

THEGAME
Visitor

new laptop FS415E

Hello everyone,

well i am now a very proud owner of a FS415E. when i opened it from the packet this <profanity removed by moderator> looked real big, with its 15.4" screen. man it sure didnt quite look this big in the showrooms, but then it is extremely light, so i have no problems with it.

guys, i have but one question, can i keep this thing constantly turned on for long hours and basically use it just as i would use a pc. i mean i have quite a lot of work to do with the uni assignments and all, but can a laptop take that much pressure.

this is my first time using one and none of my mate have ever used one also. the shop wendor said that it should be okay. so any comments on this one will be very helpful.

bye,

GERIN.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hello everyone,

well i am now a very proud owner of a FS415E. when i opened it from the packet this shit looked real big, with its 15.4" screen. man it sure didnt quite look this big in the showrooms, but then it is extremely light, so i have no problems with it.

guys, i have but one question, can i keep this thing constantly turned on for long hours and basically use it just as i would use a pc. i mean i have quite a lot of work to do with the uni assignments and all, but can a laptop take that much pressure.

this is my first time using one and none of my mate have ever used one also. the shop wendor said that it should be okay. so any comments on this one will be very helpful..

Hi Gerin,

Welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

I leave my Vaio on most of the day, if I'm going to be away for any lenght of time I just put your laptop into hibernate.

As your laptop in new, be sure to make a Recovery Media Kit using the VAIO Recovery Utility. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree with Thalamus, hibernate it if you're going to be away from keyboard (as we say) for > 2hrs

THEGAME
Visitor

thanks guys,

well i used to leave my pc on all the time, was just not sure about the laptops. anyways, yes about the recovery kits, i did get me a few dvd's but it didnt work as they were RWs. so tomorow i will go and get the other ones.

you know there is one thing that i did not like about sony. they dont give you a printed users guide. sure its on the web to download, but i personally would have like a printed book sort of a thing. 57 pages print out just wouldnt give that fun. i know ther isnt much in it, but i somehow enjoy going through all the user guides of whatever i get. it helps also.

anyways, will sign off now, and good to see that we have an active club going on here.

bye,

GERIN.

tonybeard
Explorer

Check your power settings are set to adaptive not performance or you will wear out you new little beast far quicker than need be. Right click on the zap plug icon in the toolbar and adjust power properties and voila. It runs exactly the same but cooler

munkie
Visitor

The only reason I have a Sony is because I "uni-studented" my Packard Bell. I used to leave it on all day, all night. One day it just died - and because it took them more than 28 days to fix they let me choose a new one in PC World. I chose a Vaio!

Consider if you would be willing to be without your PC for an extended amount of time while they fix the fried components...

wytey
Visitor

The only problem with leaving a laptop on for extended periods is dust.

On a desktop, it isn't too bad, plenty of space and air flow, when dust does gather a quick blow usually is enough. However, on a laptop, although the principle is the same, you pretty much need to strip it down to clean it, and unlike desktops, they can be a pain to take apart.

When plugged into mains, I tend to shut it down after I am done, if I forget it goes into standby after 1 hour, on batteries, it is set to hibernate after 30 minutes, just incase I forget to shut it down when done.

Setting the cpu control to adaptive when plugged in certainly helps, as the fan won't be kicking in as much.

For comparison, just writing this with setting at performance, temp is sat around 51c, setting it to adaptive, it is sat at 45c.

kee-lo_

That's good advice, as dust can really be a pain.

I agree with you Gerin, they could at least give us the 2 DVDs

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Gerin,

I prefer to have printed manuals as well, so many companys are supplying user manuals either online or on a CD, not much good if your PC won't boot etc.

Just another money saving option IMO. :slight_frown:

kee-lo_

not much good if your PC won't boot etc. 

LOL totally agree :laughing: