Join now - be part of our community!

New Sony SVE1713Z1EB issues

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
stainxxx
New

New Sony SVE1713Z1EB issues

Email form on Sony site not working so asking here as I am getting so frustrated.

I have just purchased this fromSony andset this up, following the Microsoft initial login screens and using an existing Microsoft userid.

After this, all I did was:

1. Install Norton 365 which also uninstalled MacAfee (as I have a 3 laptop license already for Norton). There appeared to be no issues and Norton is working fine

2. Activate a Microsoft Office registration

3. Copy some bookmarks to IE10

At this point, I attempted to install iTunes from the online download site. The download stalled at 98PERCENTAGESIGN and then failed stating it was due to the download being "interrupted".

So I tried some other software from an online site (Lacie network drive software). Failed in the same way at 98PERCENTAGESIGN.

Tried another, but it seems everything is failing to complete.

I tried this with Norton Antivirus and Firewall totally switched off plus all add-ons disabled.

Checked the eventvwr logs and found this message that seemed to correspond with every failed download:

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] ACEEventLogSource

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 4

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-04-08T19:36:49.000000000Z

EventRecordID 170

Channel ACEEventLog

Computer VAIOWindows8

Security

- EventData

0000000063: 2013-04-08 20:36:49:641 Exception : Access to the path 'C:\ProgramData\ATI\ACE\Profiles.xml' is denied. Exception Called by: System.Threading.ExecutionContext::RunInternal processID:00660 threadID:( ) domainName:(CCC.exe ) assemblyName:(mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089) ************************************************************************************************************************

Please can you advise me what to do as I have never had a permissions issue like this and it suggests something has gone horribly wrong with the basic setup even though no issues were reported. This is a very disappointing start, particularly for such a good spec laptop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi stainxxx and welcome.

Did you completely remove McAfee using the uninstall tool MCPR.exe downloadable from McAfee?

We have seen numerous problems from users who have installed Norton without running MCPR.exe first. The firewalls and in particular the McAfee Family Protection Module, unless uninstalled, seem to cause a download firewall permissions blockage and can also cause performance issues causing the Vaio to run slower and slower over time.

Try running MCPR.exe which should fix the problem - if not it may be necessary to uninstall Norton and reinstall afterwards.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

There is some advice on this subject on the Sony Support website for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVE1713Z1EB/tips-and-solutions/127334

:thinking:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi stainxxx and welcome.

Did you completely remove McAfee using the uninstall tool MCPR.exe downloadable from McAfee?

We have seen numerous problems from users who have installed Norton without running MCPR.exe first. The firewalls and in particular the McAfee Family Protection Module, unless uninstalled, seem to cause a download firewall permissions blockage and can also cause performance issues causing the Vaio to run slower and slower over time.

Try running MCPR.exe which should fix the problem - if not it may be necessary to uninstall Norton and reinstall afterwards.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

There is some advice on this subject on the Sony Support website for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVE1713Z1EB/tips-and-solutions/127334

:thinking: