Join now - be part of our community!

New Vaio issues/advice

flairplay
Visitor

New Vaio issues/advice

My VAIO experience 5 days after purchase:

I bought a new VPCF11Z1E/B1 on May 06, 2010. Decided not to scrimp and paid decent cash. It comes with I7 processor, extra RAM, blue ray etc etc. Bought a 40 inch Sony screen - best I could find in store to use as display monitor through HDMI cable. Not for movies or gaming but simply because my work requires me to look at lots of numbers and graphs - my VAIO is meant to be a desktop replacement.

When it works, it works well. However, on set-up I kept getting prompted to install "jucheck.exe" from an unknown publisher, but with executable apparently residing on the hard drive (or so the pop claimed). I sent Sony a request asking if I should but have had no response. Internet searches variously claim its a trojan or its a valid Sun Java executable. Why should this reside on the hard disk?

The video card also failed for a few hours and all the diagnosics stated there was a problem with the machine's display - it failed all 3 tests. Again, Sony did not respond to any requests. However, after a few hours the monitor came back. All well since then.

Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate from Windows 7 Home. Today my Vaio prompted me to resgister my machine with Sony - which I had already done in detail a few days ago. Actually the website seems to remember my registration details - probably the software on the machine itself does not. Maybe there is way of actually checking?

For back-up its quite happy to write to DVD but when I attach a proper hard drive through USB it fails. The same hard drive works for other PC's though.

I was hoping that the Sony experience would be a better one than the Dell experience and as well that MS software, and Windows 7, would not be as flaky as past products. Unfortunately, because of work reasons I really cannot use an Apple Mac. So a bit disappointed with both Sony and MS. I can see why there are such huge Apple Mac diehards out there.

I'm not a techno wizard - so maybe there are simple explanations I have missed. Any ideas - would be grateful if you can share.

4 REPLIES 4
flairplay
Visitor

Still strugglin. Does anyone actually know if Sony VAIO respond to problems cosnuemrs encounter? My efforts to get them to respond have come to naught.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi flairplay,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

unfortunately as you have upgraded from the Sony supplied OS to Windows 7 ultimate I doubt Vaio support will assist you with solving problems.. :slight_frown:

Have you tried removing jave from your vaio and then downloading and installing again, here is a link: Java

How did you contact vaio support.?

I suggest you do a full system recovery then if you still have graphics problems you can arrange for a repair as it's better to get it solved sooner rather than later.. :wink:

The registration popup normally has an option to click do not remind me, do you have that option.?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Does anyone actually know if Sony VAIO respond to problems cosnuemrs encounter? 

Hi again,

hopefully someone from Vaio support will be in contact with you soon.. :wink:

Please check that your contact details are correct via the following link Contact details

flairplay
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Many thanks for your response:

1) I got a voicemail on my mobile from Vaio approximately one week ago. They claimed they had been trying to reach me (impossible since I had no missed calls). When I tried to reach them they were not available

2) Yesterday I had a call from a Guildford phone number asking for my Vaio experience. Again this was while I was busy. I tiold them the experience is awful and they promised to call back another time

3) There has been no response or acknowledgement from VAIO by email.

4) Everytime I start the machine - even from hibernate mode - the VAIO pop up asking me to register appears. About 4 or 5 times I have gone throuigh the same registration process! It then provides the same registration number as it did first time around.

5) The video card seems to have stabilised somewhat - apart from font size settings changing spontaneously. Probably something to do with HDMI resolution

6) If Sony dont support a VAIO purchase because I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultiamte, mostly because of the problems I was having with the original Windows 7 ionstalled, then they are cheats! Its not what I had understood when I purchased the machine.

My view is that those who can should use Apple Mac.