Join now - be part of our community!

New Vaio VPCEG2DFX - Fan never stops?

SOLVED
profile.country.uk_UA.title
Dmytro.Vin
Visitor

New Vaio VPCEG2DFX - Fan never stops?

Hi to ALL :slight_smile:

The fan in my new Vaio works permanently, even when no active programm running, also in safe mode. It do changes speed - more, when much more active - and returns to low-to-medium level when no, or not much activity ... but never stops. 

Output airflow is barely warm.

Sure, all vents are free.

In BIOS, the fan works even faster.

Speedfan show 35C Hdd, 39-43C other 4 temperatures (current moment, with lot of windows opened), meanwhile CPU-Z shows 800MHz Core speed only (max is 2200).

Room temp. is about 24-25 (not sure about my temp.clock, but i feel not hot at all), fan air flow is only few degrees higher.

There are no sotware preinstalled to lower speed or rise trigger temperature.

Questions:

1) Is somewhere any software to fix this? (In bios or in windows)

2) Is it ok?? What about other exemplars, is it true for all VPCEG2DFX models or just this mine?

3) Is it a case for a service (like a bad detail or assembling)?

I think, possibly this can be a problem due to the videocard integrated in I3-2330 processor... May be fan was not adopted... On the other hand, I'm waiting less heat in this Sandy Bridge platform...

My older I3-350 on other notebook uses its fan less (while battery time was much less, so power consumption higher)...

Waiting  for answers...

Have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dmytro.Vin
Visitor

Ok, new and final information.

Repair service said, laptop is ok, and recommended to read less any forums. I didn't receive an answer in written form, but gays told me, notebook really was delivered to official sony techs, and checked there.

Also I found today a very similar model, "vpceh" in a shop. It was switched on, and also had a fan rotated, while it had only clean Windows and one video on pause. This one had a videocard separated, so this is not a cause.

So the conclusion is - Sony just made a compromised cooler decision, and even with i3 ability to greatly reduce speed and power it cannot work without fan rotated... The ability to be quite was sacrificed...

What can I say to that...

In some reason, sometimes vendors have their own ideas, how we users has to use their devices.

If they think about table and noisy room, they exclude our wishes to have a silence, ot to put it on the sofa...

I like Sony's dedication to quality, i think, second after Apple, but its unflexibility oppresses.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
KatherineYH
Visitor

Either buy an external fan to help with the cooling process or prob the laptop up so the air can get to the intake fan. On most laptops the intake fan is underneath the laptop making it hard to cool down the laptop unless you prop it up and give it some room to 'breathe'. Get more information  http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100621131014AAEt0O6

Life is too serious to be taken seriously https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/text-smiley.png

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dmytro.Vin and welcome.

As laptops have improved, more heat is generated and manufacturers often over cool to prevent heat related faults developing.  Your temperatures appear OK.

I think what you describe is normal but if his worries you then speak to Vaio Support and they will have some tests to see if the fan usage is normal for your model or if the fan controller is not working properly.

Dmytro.Vin
Visitor

Thanks, Blencogo.

It's hard to believe that constant use of fan is necessary, especially for i3 sandy, not boosted i5 or i7, and only for the Sony... I've googled, it is year to year favourite Sony problem...

I've tried to put notebook on the window, where the temperature was lower. I received 33 hdd and 39 and less in temperatures, but fan didn't stopped...

I've found about some return policy regarding this model - "This Product Has Limited Exchange Privileges.

For support on this product, please contact Sony at 888-476-6972. Defective exchanges for identical item within 14 days of purchase permitted on this product with prior manufacturer approval."

- http://tinyurl.com/d8xcbmc - this is Google cashe adress, because site has an error in my browser... but I have no idea or information does this problem deal with fan...

I think this can be dangerous if this is some kind of a bug. For example, this can be caused by poor contact between processor and radiator...

I have some problems trying to reach Sony support, because in my country this model is not presented on official site, and I cannot receive connection to support... and USA Sony has this model, but does not accept people outside US...

So I have only sellers, who probably doesn't know any substantial in this case, or sellers Service Centre (not Sony I'm afraid) , who covers my warranty...

And I'm asking here, hoping to have some help from officials, regarding - is this a real case, - and some diagnostic advices...

KatherineYH, thank you for discussion. The case on the links mostly about not new computer, so dust matters... I've just bought a new one... Downside vents doesn't helps, too... I tryed to keep notebook higher, all the same...

profile.country.en_GB.title
noarnol52
New

I've got the same problem with my VPCF225CE. I'm sending it back for repair because I can't believe that the fan needs to running at maximum to use Notepad and/or Firefox?!!

Not sure what to advise you, other than try to get it looked by an authorised service centre, under warranty if possible.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dmytro.Vin.

Unfortunately, your Vaio is a US Model and only has a US Warranty.  This means you can only get warranty support from Sony in the USA.

I presume it is a 'grey' import which was cheaper than a european Vaio and the seller has sold some sort of local warranty that is nothing to do with Sony.  This obviously makes it difficult to get any sort of Support from the official Sony Support as the specifications are different in differing areas.

Most Vaios do qualify for an International Repair Service but the Vaio must be registered in the USA to qualify.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do as your only safeguard is the warranty you have purchased.  As far as I know, the only cure would be to change the fan controller.

:thinking:

Dmytro.Vin
Visitor

Thank you, Blencogo . I'm sure it will not be problems with repair, the service centre of a seller is a big one... I only cannot find confidence that it is really case about repair... What if this is an assumed  behaviour for this model... I'm using it only for a few weeks, but it is already full of personal stuff, so cleaning it for sending to service is a big deal... sure, it is necessary if notebook has a defect... But if it is supposed to work this way... Somewhere in Sony support i have read smth like "fan has to make some noise, it's ok"...

About fan controller - may be... but somehow it works, speed is changing under load. Somewhere on forums i have read, that sometimes after recovery not all drivers are set, it can be about this, too ( i have done this after buying).

Anyway, if it's impossible to find report here from another owner of "vpceg2dfx" , what he/she has about fan, or ideas about tuning or diagnostic soft, or about where to speek with official support, or where to find list of recalled "vpceg2dfx" notebooks :slight_smile: - I'll try to speak with seller and service centre:smileyplain:

noarnol52 , thank you for participation... It's interesting, what results will be... I don't have maximum with notepad, my gives increased speed for a short time only during really stronger use, but minimum is not zero and is not really quite.

- I'm using it just now with batteries, and an airflow is almost of room temperature, while speed of it is enough strong. Not very strong, but obviously higher then needed. Really suspicious:smileyconfused:

Dmytro.Vin
Visitor

Ok, new and final information.

Repair service said, laptop is ok, and recommended to read less any forums. I didn't receive an answer in written form, but gays told me, notebook really was delivered to official sony techs, and checked there.

Also I found today a very similar model, "vpceh" in a shop. It was switched on, and also had a fan rotated, while it had only clean Windows and one video on pause. This one had a videocard separated, so this is not a cause.

So the conclusion is - Sony just made a compromised cooler decision, and even with i3 ability to greatly reduce speed and power it cannot work without fan rotated... The ability to be quite was sacrificed...

What can I say to that...

In some reason, sometimes vendors have their own ideas, how we users has to use their devices.

If they think about table and noisy room, they exclude our wishes to have a silence, ot to put it on the sofa...

I like Sony's dedication to quality, i think, second after Apple, but its unflexibility oppresses.