Join now - be part of our community!

No drive found on UX1XN

skykit84
New

No drive found on UX1XN

Hi all,

Been a while since I last logged on here!

Just a quick one, I have a UX1XN here that will not detect the SSD
It is a 32GB SSD version and just sits on the sony logo (or bios screen) for about 2 minutes.

It finally goes into bios (if I select F2) or to the no drive found prompt

I assume it is not the cable to the SSD as once removed, it goes straight to the No OS found sscreen and no delay is seen.

Connect it up, and you get that delay almost like it knows its there but can't find it afterall.

Any help would be great - not even sure where a replacement 32GB can be bought for cheap!

By the way, after the delay, BIOS states there is no drive.

1 REPLY 1
skykit84
New

OK I guess no-one has gone as far as I have with the UX series "laptops" 🙂

Well just for your reference, I put in a 80GB ZIF drive from an Ipod and the machine read it straight away.
I'll be installing windows on it shortly via USB but I'm pretty much certain it will be fine.

Luckily the clearing in the chassis is fine, it has vents at the back of the unit and generally by looking at it, it's made to handle both including the drive chassis.

In the long-term life of it, a 30GB drive will go into it unless the customer wants to pay additional for the 80 which I doubt.

Useful for those who have this device and may want to upgrade the drive - It's FAR cheaper than buying a SSD replacement though obviously there will be issues with potential power consumption with the drive being that little bit more.
Apart from that, if you consider a 64GB or 128GB SSD is between £150-£250...and yet you around £150 you can potentially get a 120GB HDD, no brainer really!