Join now - be part of our community!

No power from AC or Battery on Vaio VGN-A117S

profile.country.en_GB.title
parkjose
Visitor

No power from AC or Battery on Vaio VGN-A117S

I have a six year old VGN-A117S laptop which does not power on.

It was working fine earlier in the day (and always has), I shut it down normally and now it appears to be dead. Cannot power on from the mains or from battery. The AC adapter is working as the green LED is lit on the transformer, and I know that I have a 40% charged battery from when I was using the laptop.

I get no response when I press power, the battery does not charge when the mains lead is connected even if I leave the laptop "off".

Any suggestions? ...

Joe.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Joe,

It sounds like no power is available to the main board.  The likely cause is a failure in the power board which links AC/Battery/Main Board and will need a repair.

Before consulting a repairer, try the following just in case static electricity is causing the problem.  Unplug the power, remove the battery and hold the Power buttom down for 30 seconds.  Then reconnect the AC power only (no battery) and try to start the Vaio.

It may also be worth checking that power is reaching the Vaio even if the light is on the AC Adapter.  A fault could have arisen in the wire.

Sorry there is no magic cure.

:neutral:

profile.country.en_GB.title
parkjose
Visitor

Thanks for your suggestions, I have done the 30 seconds anti-static procedure and attempted to power on from AC alone - no luck i'm afraid. I have also inspected the power cord to look for damage etc... but it's all clean, and I was using it just a few hours before the Vaio stopped working (it was shut down properly, left for a couple of hours and then would not come back on) so I think the transformer and associated cables are still ok.

Anything else, can I do anything to the power board inside the Vaio to bring it back to life?

Joe.