Join now - be part of our community!

No recovery disk made for my VGN-A471M & NOW! it wont boot Any Help??

ShaunC
Visitor

No recovery disk made for my VGN-A471M & NOW! it wont boot Any Help??

I have a VGN-A471M vaio which when you boot up just goes to the "blue screen of death" and then quickly restarts in an never ending loop... any ideas on what I can do. Ive tried safe modes etc but still same response.

:slight_frown:

Sad Vaio Newbie

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ShaunC and welcome to Club Vaio.

It depends how much data you have on your Vaio. Can you stand losing it?

If you have backed everything up and have the installation discs for most of your software, you can try to recover your Vaio from the Hard Disc Recovery. To do this, tap F10 repeatedly as you boot the Vaio - when you see the first Vaio logo screen. This will return your Vaio to its original factory condition and you will lose everything you have added since you bought it. You will have to reload all software and re-apply all updates. If you go down this route, make sure you are connected to the mains and do not interrupt the process even if it appears to hang.

If you want to try and keep your data, you will need to borrow a XP Pro installation disc from someone. With this you can boot from the disc into the Recovery Console and attempt to find the driver or device causing the problem.

:wink:

ShaunC
Visitor

Tried doing the F10 function - it just comes up with NTLDR is missing - Press Ctrl+Alt+Del

Will try the next thing you advised, but how do i use recovery console?

Thanks for you help its greatly appreciated.

ShaunC :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It may be worth trying the F10 a few times to see if you can get it to work.

If you get a XP Pro disc, put this in your drive and boot your Vaio with it inseted.

At the first "Welcome to Setup" screen just press R
This should take you into the Recovery Console.
You will need to log on as an Administrator.

When in the Recovery Console run these to repair any boot sector problems:

FIXBOOT
FIXMBR

Try to reboot without the disc.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/recovery_run_console....

If it still fails to boot, put the disc back in and follow the instructions to run a REPAIR installation.

:thinking:

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

and here some little more causes

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

fixboot/fixmbr did the job for me, as I was in similar trouble. (thankyou Moldmeister JameMold)

ShaunC
Visitor

Still no joy with the F10 Key and when ive tried the fixboot and fixmbr(master boot record) and still wont load, Ive tried the recovery and selected option 1 as you said but it said the command wasn't recognised? all whats left now is to chuck it through the window in hope that the bang reseats the hhd... lol

ShaunC

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ShaunC,

If you wish you can contact Vaio-Link to purchase a set of recovery disc's.. :slight_frown: