Join now - be part of our community!

no search on this forum? and prob with recovery CD

sOnIc
Visitor

no search on this forum? and prob with recovery CD

Um, am i blind or is there no search facility on this forum ??? weird ..
Reason why Im here is because my Vaio Desktop PCV-RX302 wont work with the recovery CD. I've tried everything and it keeps erroring. 1stly says "partition too small" but also does error code 3,4 and 5 on the custom recovery options .. I havent changed the partitions and i have reset the bios.

help!

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Um, am i blind or is there no search facility on this forum ??? weird .. 

We have been waiting patiently for months (many users up to 8 months - I kid you not):smileysad:

Just use the standard DVD recovery method (the non-partition method) and see how it does - that should work OK.

Please note that a recovery formats the Hard Disk (Drive C) anyway, and if you choose to use the partition mode Drive D as well.

sOnIc
Visitor

Hi James! quick reply :slight_smile:
I didnt get a DVD .. only have a 3 CD pack.
The standard recovery errors. The custom recovery seams messed up, the options for 'new size' arent there, its like its got a bug or something.
One thing tho - I do have another drive I put in myself. the default partitions are lettered as normal but I do have another IDE hard drive in there.. I may try taking it out.
Cheers m8

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Oh - you have the CD's - TBH there is the recovery partition, the CD pack or a DVD disk - so its not standard:smileycry:

Be careful as you don't want to invalidate the warranty on a new computer:smileywink: Also note that you cannot take a preformatted Windows XP hard disk out and insert it into a VAIO and expect it to work... It is an antipiracy method by Microsoft (M$)...:smileysad:

Psaila
Visitor

Try Here Sonic

It may be of use , and also welcome To Club Vaio .

sOnIc
Visitor

hi Raymond :slight_smile: thnx .. i'll go look at those help files now..
I've tried taking the other drive out and nothings changed.
If I select standard recovery it comes up with the error:
Destination partition is too small.
I haven't re-partitioned that drive or anything.
Thanks, I'll try the help files..

Psaila
Visitor

Your Welcome sonic , sorry I cant help more

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Destination partition is too small.

Make sure you select 10GB or more - its so the VAIO applications + Windows XP can fit onto drive C.:smileyhappy:

Didn't know Sony's partition management system was so limited!

sOnIc
Visitor

well.. I've just spent 40 minutes on the phone to VIAO support and between us we solved nothing .. As the PC is around a year old I'm not worried about the warranty and I'm gonna try my own format and put my own copy of windows on.

Thankyou both for your help, hopefully one day this forum will get a search facility so I could have looked for other with the same problem.

Cheeeers,
sOnIc

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think the partition on C: has to be 30GB James.