Join now - be part of our community!

Not a recognised Vaio

A-lastair-M
Visitor

Not a recognised Vaio

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VGC-V2M.

When I try and run Vaio Recovery or DVgate it says "This computer is not recognised as a Sony Vaio. This Program only runs on a Sony Vaio." Something along those lines.

I do have a Sony Vaio and have not made any modifications apart from Sony did repair the screen.

Anyway I can fix it? I read a while ago in another thread to run C:\Utils\Utils.exe. This DID work, but when I went back to do some video editing in Adobe Premier it totally screwed up. All the clips I had edited were cut-strange and not in the right order. Not that I mean the edied clips were just in the wrong place on the timeline, I mean that the edited clips were not the same and not the parts I needed. They were from the same clip but not the right part.

Any ideas? I did a system restore to get the video back and that worked. The sound on my PC wasn't working again but I think I've sorted that now. If I run that program again it will mess up my video, I've already tried it.

Backing the video files up may work but it's kinda spread out and it prob won't work, it'll keep saying "Where is.... (file name)" and then put it strange lol knowing my luck. There might be an easy way to solve this.

Vaio support have not been helpful with the generic answer of recovering the whole PC back to factory settings so I come to you guys. Just wondering if there's any way to sort this prob out.

Search has not yielded any solutions.

Many thanks. Greatly appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
A-lastair-M
Visitor

Hi A-lastair-M

Goto Start > All Programs > Vaio Recovery Tool and click on Vaio Recovery utility.

Once the Vaio Recovery utility has loaded, click the options button and select Recovery Specific Applications that were pre-installed, click OK, then Yes and Yes again.

You should see DVGate plus in the Application list, select and then click install.. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but in the 1st post I said Vaio Recovery was also not working! :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I have already done this a few times and now just tried downloading it from the site. It did enable me to use the recovery tool and other stuff,

My mistake A-lastair-M, I read you previous post and thought that the recovery tool was working, I must have misunderstood your post.. :thinking:

A-lastair-M
Visitor

No worries. So anyone know how to stop my videos from being screwed up when I install Utils.exe (looks like that's what I'm going to have to do)? What do I have to do to stop them from changing? Thanks.

A-lastair-M
Visitor

Please help, this problem is so annoying! :cry: I'm going insane. :thinking:

waterside
Visitor

Just a stab in the dark, but it's not the VAIO Edit Components? Is there a way to reinstall that? Or perhaps you have installed some other video codec (maybe as part of another product) that interprets encoded video files/timelines differently. Sorry if this sends you on a tangent. I must admit that when I had a problem a while back I just did a full system restore to drive C:, ensuring that all my documents etc were preserved on drive D:.

A-lastair-M
Visitor

I don't know what VAIO Edit Components is....? I have some video codecs installed but I don't know if they would make a difference. I might give them a try later but I have a feeling I'm going to do all this and it won't work. :angry:

I have 3 images, sorry they are so small they were resized:

1) This is BEFORE I install the file:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Monkeyseat/Other%20Pictures/before.jpg

2) This is AFTER I have installed the file (note some changes to "Main Snakes.avi", also when I run Premiere after installing the file it says "Conforming Whole.avi" at the bottom and it didn't before):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Monkeyseat/Other%20Pictures/after.jpg

3) This is the system restore to show what the file installs ("Before" is the restore point I created before I installed the file):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Monkeyseat/Other%20Pictures/restore.jpg

This is the file I am downloading:

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Vaio/Original/V2_Utilities.zip

From here:

http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/info/info.asp?
l=en&url=Vaio/Original/V2_Utilities.zip&ip=Preinstalled_Utilities.htm

I have all my programs on C, and all my docs on D, so if I did a restore of C do you think that would solve the problem and still be able to use the film project (if I restore and it doesn't work I'll cry, if it doesn't there's not much I can do).? I've recently paid to extend and upgrade Norton so would I loose that too? Or would it restart from the beginning.

Don't ask about the project by the way, it's just a bit of fun between me and a few friends :P. So, again, any new ideas? Thanks for the help so far.

If someone fixed this I would be very, very, very grateful, I am at the point of insanity with this. :tongue:

A-lastair-M
Visitor

Sorry for the late update, this is the first time I've had to come back on as this website kept giving me "parameter" errors when I tried to login, post and view threads (and did it again a minute ago so I had to retype this and I couldn't remember it all :smileyangry:). I fixed this now. When I was trying to fix it I installed the file again, and then when I tried to restore, they had become corrupt and wouldn't restore. Everything was working, just the video wrong.

I just spent a few hours fixing the project, it was quicker on the whole anyway. Fine now, works better if anything. Thanks for all the help.

I don't know if you guys know about Adobe Premier but I might as well ask... One problem I did experience though was I tried to import a video and it played ok in WMP but when I imported it after about 2 minutes the audio went out of sync. Why? It kind of skips after a bit.

I re-captured the small bit I needed now but I'm just wondering. Also when I connected by DV camcorder to the PC via a dock, I can't remember what I did but it caused some grey lines to go horizontally across the screen. They went after changing the tape a few times, but why did this happen (I don't think I used the controls on the camcorder to stop etc. but I may have... )?

Glad it's sorted really now. Cheers.

waterside
Visitor

Sorry for the delay in responding - sounds like you've fixed the issue anyway by re-editing the project in Adobe Premiere. If the rendering of a video in WMP and Premiere is different, its likely they are using different video codecs and the codec that Premiere was using was changed when you installed the VAIO utilities. If you have trouble in the future, you could try using a video format conversion utility (there are lots of them free on the web) to copy, say, an AVI to an MPG and then import that into Premiere.

A-lastair-M
Visitor

Cheers, will try it next time. I don't know what happened witht he lines on the camcorder screen but anyway, thanks for all the help.