Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidea Driver Update

leethepee
Visitor

Nvidea Driver Update

I have a Sony Vaio FZ18M laptop, only had it for about 3 weeks. On it belongs a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics card. Vista every now again is saying I need to update the Nvidea driver. When I go to Device Manager it says that my drivers are up to date however when I got to Nvidea's website the site says "Sony requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site." When I go to the download site there is nothing there about an update...any ideas what is up.

For the record the driver version on my laptop is 7.15.11.111.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi leethepee,

There are no updated official Sony drivers for your 8400M GT.

If you want to try an updated beta driver, have a look here: -

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15049

You will need to download the Driver, the Modded .INF file and follow the installation instructions in the "QuickStart Guide" for Vista or it will not install.

You can always roll back to the old version.

:wink:

leethepee
Visitor

Is it likely to that if I didn't update I will incur more probs? I have read the details and it sounds rather complecated (not a techy wiz kid).

Why does Nvidia not release these drivers?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you are not confident, wait for Sony to release a new driver.

The reason nVidia do not release updated drivers for laptops is because they do not sell these graphics chips to the public - only to manufacturers like Sony. You cannot go out and buy a 8400M GT. These chips are usually soldered into the main board of the laptop as part of the manufacturing process and updates should be tested on the particular hardware configuration by the manufacturer to ensure compatibility.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers do not consider this a prority as they make no money out of it!!!

Customers can buy desktop PCI Graphics Cards direct - so these are supported by nVidia.

:slight_frown:

leethepee
Visitor

Any idea when Sony will post proper drivers for the 8400M GT?

Acden
Visitor

You will need to download the Driver, the Modded .INF file and follow the installation

Site is not working - do you have a copy of INF file?

profile.country.en_GB.title
jesnche
Visitor

Since a few weeks Sony offers news drivers for this video card. Check donwload site.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Since a few weeks Sony offers news drivers for this video card. Check donwload site.

VGN-FZ18M nVidia Video Driver 7.15.11.128 HERE