Join now - be part of our community!

Ok - so I bought a low spec laptop

hazymat
Visitor

Ok - so I bought a low spec laptop

My Vaio is great. And I suppose it's not really exactly low-spec. But I am regretting not getting a massive hard disc and more memory.

I want to upgrade the hard disk but there's no info on the Sony site about specs.

I've looked at my laptop (the VGN-S2HP) specs online here but there's no info about hdd upgrades.

Can I just use a standard notebook hard drive to upgrade? I'll take care of the reinstallation myself etc.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I *think* it's a 5400RPM

robpaxton
Explorer

Well that's a *think* & a *guess* - perhaps hazymat will let us know for sure :devil:

kee-lo_

Hopefully

hazymat
Visitor

Well that's a *think* & a *guess* - perhaps hazymat will let us know for sure :devil:

Hey again

Well - my current drive, shipped as standard in my VGN-S2HP is the Toshiba 40GB 4200RPM drive (model Toshiba MK4025GAS).

Bought a 100GB Toshiba drive (the Toshiba 1032GAX) as it seemed the most similar and was actually the cheapest - £107 on Ebuyer! It is 5400RPM.

Then got worried that being a higher-revolution spec, it would consume more power (faster battery drain) but read the specs and guess what - it's faster, and more power efficient! It actually uses less power for *all* different types of use (eg. seek, spin up, idle etc)

So am very pleased. Just finished imaging my drive (be blowed if I'm going to use the Vaio Recovery Program - did it with Acronis) and ready to install, which I am going to do right now! Wish me luck, see you on the other side etc.

Mat

iceberg
Visitor

hi there vaio lovers,

I've never really posted any thread before, so excuse my bluntness (if there's such word).

Ok, here's a thing, I've bought Vaio VGN-S1XP with Intel Pentium M 735 - 1.70A Ghz with 60 Gb/Go HDD - 512 MB/Mo RAM - Integrated DVD-RW & finally ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (64 MB).

I took S1 cause it was the best spec around August last year and i knew that the specs would get higher in time soon and the S4 is obviously got the best / highest specs at the moment.

I knew that i can't upgrade my processor, but it would be nice if i can upgrade the HDD to 100GB, the RAM to 1052 MB, from DVD-RW to Multi Format Dual LAyer DVD + & - RW and lastly the Graphic Card to ATI X600 (128 MB) or something to make everything running faster and smoother, although of course, there's nothing wrong with its performance at the moment (well except for some glitches and error windows appeared once in a while).

... and after looking at the link that one of you posted here, i was really drooling and really wish to upgrade to higher specs as mentioned. On the other hand, I have no experience at all, lifting any cabinet/shell/laptop (whatever you call it) up & upgrade it myself. I don't feel confident and i'm just afraid that i would just break everything & even not to make it running as normal as before.

I know the labour cost of sending it to sony centre for all the mentioned upgrades will be so expensive. Is there any S-series owner lives in London whose expertise i can ask for a favour to do all of those upgrades for a reasonable fee (& lunch/dinner maybe?) :smileygrin:

I would want to get involved with the whole process of buying the HDD, Memory, Graphic Cards & DVD + - RW Dual Layer (if not one at a time, if my financial state permits) :tongue:

Thank you for your time reading this plea :slight_smile: