Join now - be part of our community!

Parallel PC Card compatable with VGN-AR11B?

GFDJOHN
Visitor

Parallel PC Card compatable with VGN-AR11B?

Hi, could somebody confirm if the parallel PC card that I have bought (CBP0020) is compatable with my VGN-AR11B. When I insert the card my notebook freezes. It hangs when I reeboot if connected.

I am looking to attach a parallel security dongle. Ta.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi - welcome to ClubVAIO.

I presume you have looked in Device Manager for any warnings or exclamation marks against the device? It does sound like a hardware conflict and there do seem to be more of these conflicts with dual core processors.

Have you had a look in System Information for conflicts - Start>Run>msinfo32
Look in Hardware Devices>Sharing/Conflicts
Look in IRQ and see what else is using the same IRQ.

You have probably tried these but I can't offer any other advice having never used this card.

I assume it is compatible with XP MCE - it doesn't say it is but MCE is in most respects identical to XP Pro.

:thinking:

GFDJOHN
Visitor

Hi Blencogo, thank you for the welcome. The main problem is that I cannot do anything when the card is connected. It freezes totally.

I checked the usual things when it is disconnected, no problems listed.

The Cardbus controller shares its IRQ with the following:

Mobile Intel(R) 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express PCI Express Root Port - 27A1
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D2
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Is there another card available in the UK that is known to work providing a parallel port?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

If you need a parallel port for a dongle, then you can contact the manufacturer to see if they have a USB version. Otherwise if it's for a printer might be well worth buying a USB cable for it.

GFDJOHN
Visitor

I bought the card from Maplin, who's technical desk responded telling me that the card was using too much power. They quite happily took the card back. I've now ordered a TDC303 from Transdigital.net. If this doesn't work I'll just go back to my sofftware supplier for a USB dongle. Thanks for your time.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That was my next suggestion, it's probably using too much power.

Good luck with this new one