Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-C1VFK Restore CD

Mowbli
Visitor

PCG-C1VFK Restore CD

Hi,

I ve lost my CD3 of my restore pack from the laptop, so I ve only got CD1 and CD2. Does anyone know where I ll be able to find replacement recovery disks and whether I can restore the system with just CD1 and CD2?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mowbli and welcome to Club Vaio.

You can purchase a set of recovery media from Sony Support at a cost of approx €70.

You may or may not be able to partially recover your machine with disks 1 & 2 but will at best have some applications missing or at worst an unusable system….

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Mowbli
Visitor

70 euros does seen pretty steep!

Is there really no other way? 😞

Thanks for your prompt response :slight_smile:

madomng70
New

you can install a new OS like another pc, but you need the drivers to install all components

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Steep indeed!!! Try the first two disks but otherwise no legal solution.....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Mowbli
Visitor

I wanted to use the recovery disks because its current state is Windows XP Pro - and to be frankly honest the laptop aint too fast carry that around.

The file system is NTFS, and WIndows XP doesnt seem to like the idea of downgrading to an older OS (WIn 2000) - so I thought the use of the recovery would be the easiet method...unless there is another simple way?

I can get the original Windows 2000 disk from another PC, but I really havent got a clue how to install this properly! There is access to various drivers from the C1VPK model in the USA Sony Site but I think that's missing the BT module driver.... :o( lol

🐵

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

There is no way of downgrading the operating system (that I know of). If you have the original XP installation disk (or any other MS install disk – legally owned of course) then use this to format the hard disk. Once you have a clean slate you will be able to install a fresh operating system.

Vaio-Link will provide all the drivers and utilities that you require.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Isn't CD3 just the utilities and software? So what you could do is use all the utilities from VAIO-Link and just use software you like. Obviously this screws up the motion eye

Mowbli
Visitor

Yeha i believe CD3 may just be ultilities and drivers but I dont think the recovery process will complete without cd3...?

:cry:

Mowbli
Visitor

Isn't CD3 just the utilities and software?  So what you could do is use all the utilities from VAIO-Link and just use software you like.  Obviously this screws up the motion eye

What do you mean by it screws up the motion eye? :thinking: