Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-K415B noise problem

stevedftu
Visitor

PCG-K415B noise problem

hi guys and girls, im new to the forum so please excuse my naivety!

basically, I have a PCG-K415B and for some reason when I start it up it is really silent, then after a few seconds it starts to make a load rushing noise (like a jet turbine).

I have no idea why it is doing this, I have a couple of gigs spare on the C drive and I dont have any viruses that I know of.

Does anyone know how to stop the noise whirring away? If so, please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

p.s http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-SONY-VAIO-PCG-K415B-512MB-40GB-XP-HOME

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi stevedftu ,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

You may find that your Vaio is getting hot and the fan working more, this could be due to the cooling vents being partially blocked therefore causing the high processor temperature.
To check this please download MobileMeter and post back with the CPU temp recorded.

stevedftu
Visitor

frequency = 3.06 ghz
temp = 61 C
charge rate = 0.08W
HDD #0 = 35 C

if it is overheating, how would I stop this happening?

thanks for the quick reply!!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi stevedftu

Try clearing the cooling vents of dust with compressed air (you should be able to get this from your local PC shop), then holding the can upright give the vents a short blast from a distance of approx. 10cm if you hold the can to close you could damage the fan.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Well, it's becoming normal for notebooks with Pentium4 / Celeron CPUs. In my opinion, you can't do anything more. Just check whether all fans are working.
My old PCG-FR315S has same problems like yours. Not because of dusty fans. It's just because of finished and sticky fans after 3 years of use.

You can increase cooling with a notebook cooler like this one...

http://www.zalmantech.com/

But don't await to much of it. It's just a help, not more, not less.

stevedftu
Visitor

cheers for the help guys, il check into the compressed air. Maybe it just needs a good clean. thanks again, merry christmas!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome, let us know how you get on.. :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas to you also..