Join now - be part of our community!

PCMIA socket incompatibility with EDGE/GPRS PCMIA modem

robertamcarthur
Visitor

PCMIA socket incompatibility with EDGE/GPRS PCMIA modem

Help! I have just purchased a Swisscom Mobile unlimited EDGE/GPRS/WLAN PCMIA modem to use with my VGN FS195XP VAIO laptop. The WLAN works perfectly on the laptop after I turn off the integrated WLAN receiver. My hardware device monitor also recognizes the Edge and GPRS modems. However, it does NOT recognize the GPRS data SIM card I have in it and will only let me use the PCMIA card in WLAN mode. My PCMIA adaptors are (1) Generic card bus controller and (2) theTexas Instruments PCI7420 Integrated FlashMedia controller. The Swisscom engineers don't want to have anything with what they call as being a "PCMIA socket incompatibility" with their PCMIA modems (manufactured by OPTION - software by Whitestein Technologies), and the Swisscom sales people don't want to give me my money back until I make sure that there isn't a way that I can't get my VAIO communicating normally with their card! Is there anyway of tweaking the firmware of the Sony so that both the laptop and the PCMIA card talk to eachother?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Try uninstalling the PCMCIA drivers by going to control panel > system > hardware tab > device manager

Right click the TI one and click uninstall

Restart the VAIO