Join now - be part of our community!

Playing Blu-ray issues (nothing new???!!!)

MisterWhite
Visitor

Playing Blu-ray issues (nothing new???!!!)

I have got my FR21S connected to my Sony KDL 40W-2000 via HDMI. The problem i am having (and it doesn't seem an uncommon one!!) is when the player starts, it quickly stops and tells me 'Your display environment does not support protected content playback'.
I have done all the updates on Club Vaio (have tried to manually install WinDVD BD update, but won't load, so assume i already have it) with the 7.15.11.6743 driver for the nVidia GeForce 8600M GS.
Movie is not region specific (i have set to region 2 anyway) so cannot see an issue there, and my TV is (apparently) HDCP compiant.
Now i'm hoping someone else somewhere has had this problem and sorted it, or someone at Sony will read tjis and offer some help.
Whichever way, all help gratefully received. I am a big Sony fan, but this latest purchase is starting to leave a sour taste.....

3 REPLIES 3
Visitor

I have got my FR21S connected to my Sony KDL 40W-2000 via HDMI. The problem i am having (and it doesn't seem an uncommon one!!) is when the player starts, it quickly stops and tells me 'Your display environment does not support protected content playback'.
I have done all the updates on Club Vaio (have tried to manually install WinDVD BD update, but won't load, so assume i already have it) with the 7.15.11.6743 driver for the nVidia GeForce 8600M GS.
Movie is not region specific (i have set to region 2 anyway) so cannot see an issue there, and my TV is (apparently) HDCP compiant.
Now i'm hoping someone else somewhere has had this problem and sorted it, or someone at Sony will read tjis and offer some help.
Whichever way, all help gratefully received. I am a big Sony fan, but this latest purchase is starting to leave a sour taste.....

It seems that the HDMI cables are some root of the cause. I bought a cheap one off scan, and even the audio wouldnt come through it until I bought a different one.

Also, if you have a recording device hooked to your TV, apparently it can affect the compliance of the copy protection. I agree, this no copy protection thing really annoys everyone. Bet you its loosing more revenue for those film companies than piracy does.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the club,
nah nuthin nu. Fraid you will have to follow the procedure here

MisterWhite
Visitor

Thanks Tony, bit of faffing around and your guide sorted it for me.
I use Qunex HDMI cables and rate them as good as any around, so didn't think there would be an issue there.
BUT, i do think Sony need to look into the issues they have with this format or it'll be dead in the water.
Right.... off to watch The Simpsons in glorious HD - but stereo sound!!!