Join now - be part of our community!

Possible to change disk on a Vaio Z ( vgn-z21wn ) to 7200rpm or SSD?

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
phattrance
Visitor

Possible to change disk on a Vaio Z ( vgn-z21wn ) to 7200rpm or SSD?

I have a Vaio Z ( vgn-z21wn ) and i wonder if its possible to change the harddrive to a faster one? the one i have uses a Serial ATA 5400rpm disk. is it possible to change it with a 7200rpm disk or maby a SSD disk?

Full specs for my vaio: http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Sony-VAIO-Notebook-Z21wn-b-Core2-d-P9500-4gb-250gb-13-1-tft-Vista-Bus-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes it is possible to change the hard disc to another HDD or a SSD.

However, this will invalidate any warranty - so I would wait until your warranty period is over.

The Z-Series is made of thin carbon fibre and is difficult to open for DIY upgrades.  It is easy to damage the thin casing (and easy to cut yourself on it too) which would not be covered by any guarantee.

Make sure any new drive gives a performance advantage - look up the transfer speeds and the power consumption for and proposed new drive.  It is not as simple as the RPM, some 5400RPM drives with parallel disc technology are quicker than some 7200RPM Drives and the 7200RPM drives are noisier, hotter and power hungrier.

If you decide to go ahead, look for some disassembly instructions by users who have made the upgrade - you will probably find something on a US site like www.notebookReview.com.

:wink:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes it is possible to change the hard disc to another HDD or a SSD.

However, this will invalidate any warranty - so I would wait until your warranty period is over.

The Z-Series is made of thin carbon fibre and is difficult to open for DIY upgrades.  It is easy to damage the thin casing (and easy to cut yourself on it too) which would not be covered by any guarantee.

Make sure any new drive gives a performance advantage - look up the transfer speeds and the power consumption for and proposed new drive.  It is not as simple as the RPM, some 5400RPM drives with parallel disc technology are quicker than some 7200RPM Drives and the 7200RPM drives are noisier, hotter and power hungrier.

If you decide to go ahead, look for some disassembly instructions by users who have made the upgrade - you will probably find something on a US site like www.notebookReview.com.

:wink: