Join now - be part of our community!

Problem Installing XP driver for DS-XG sound device

longhair_kev
Visitor

Problem Installing XP driver for DS-XG sound device

I have recently installed XP Pro SP1 onto my slightly aging X18, everything is fine (well, I am an IT professional!). However I have a problem with the XP driver for the Yamaha DS-XG sound device, for XP, supplied by Sony for this model - obtained from the support website.

The file name the site directed me to is ACD_Yam_512015244.exe and the problem is that the installing this driver fails with XP complaining that the .inf file has an "invalid service section".

Although a minor problem, the consequence being that I cannot get sound from the port replicator until I can succesfully install this driver, I would appreciate any help in either fixing the .inf file or maybe finding an alternative driver file. Even better, if Sony could fix the problem (hint hint!).

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Can you post the contents of your INF file? I may be able to suggest what is wrong and use Microsoft tactics to repair it!:smileywink:

longhair_kev
Visitor

Thanks...

The forum wouldn't let me post such a large response, so I've put the file on my webserver...

http://www.bluestreak-hosting.co.uk/~kev/NLDS1V00.INF

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Thanks for posting the FTP copy of the INF

My viewing it alone it appears to be OK, so hang on and I will try installing this INF on my system with dummy files to see what Windows XP SP2 errors I get...

It all seems OK...

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

OK, so the first thing to do is to back up the original INF file - call it OLDAC97.INF or something easy to remember.

Next, modify this part of the INF header:

Original Header

[Version]
;
CatalogFile=ydsdev.cat
Signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=MEDIA
ClassGUID={4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
provider=%YMH%
;LayoutFile=layout.inf
DriverVer = 08/20/2001, 5.12.01.5244

New Header - Version modified to run on Windows NT Kernel

[Version]
;
CatalogFile=ydsdev.cat
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=MEDIA
provider=%YMH%
;LayoutFile=layout.inf

If this fails, try these hacks to the INF file:
[Version]
;
CatalogFile=ydsdev.cat
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=MEDIA
provider=%YMH%
LayoutFile=layout.inf

Then change each instance of Directory 77 to Directory 4 in compliance with using the LAYOUT.INF file.

So for instance, change SourceDisksFiles

[SourceDisksNames]
4 = %YMHDISK%,,,""

;; Note that %YMHDISK%,,,"" is now using LAYOUT.INF Directories not Yamaha directories.

[SourceDisksFiles]
Ds1.sys = 4 ;;This is a comment. Dir 77 becomes dir 4
Dsxgwave.tbl = 4

and so on. Worth a shot. Or try getting a generic driver from Yamaha on the internet since the Sony driver doesn't work. I know its a bit technical but try the INF modifications first, then try getting a new driver.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Nice one James, I would have never known that

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Thanks. A mate of mine said that MS would not deviate from INF signatures, so $CHIGACO$ is for Windows 95, 98, Me and
$Windows NT$ is for Windows 2000, NT and XP.

$CHIGACO$ should have worked though - odd. Mind you XP as a hatred of all things legacy, and using $CHIGACO$ is a legacy string.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah it's like XP is anti-legacy

longhair_kev
Visitor

okay, thanks for all your interest fellas, I have now managed to get it to install properly...

All I did was un-comment all the device-id strings near the head of the file. (!).

I'm pleased to say that I now have sound from the port replicator working fine.

Thanks again for your time everyone.

Kev.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

That was dumb! Wonder why they were disabled? Your INF is using an odd layout for XP anyway but anyway so long as its sorted!:smileygrin: :wink: