Join now - be part of our community!

Problem solved

Bossie
Visitor

Problem solved

Problem was already solved about a month ago, but I forgot to post it. Turns out I formatted the system again, used the latest Sony driver package before upgrading to SP2 and suddenly I noticed an extra tab in Control Panel->Yamaha XC...blabla. Digital output selection (always on, only with digital source, etc.). Now it works.

Just for the record, I banged down the phone when I called Sony already before starting these posts... had to pay 20 Euro for a consult for a PC that:

1. Is too expensive for its performance anyway
2. Was slightly over a year old when I phoned and technical support is not free of charge when over a year old (they take the date of release for the model....assholes.)

The reason I didn't follow through on that is because I have principles. It's not the 20 bucks....f*ck that.

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't buy this crap and it was my friend's. I have built over 100 "clones" in the last 5 years, all performing WAY better than this Sony crap, for at least 50% of the price...

Thanks anyway for your great help all !!!
Bye,

Ivar

12 REPLIES 12
TygerTyger
Visitor

technical support is not free of charge when over a year old (they take the date of release for the model....assholes.)

No way. I cannot believe anyone would actually do that. Is that really true?

Bossie
Visitor

For all of you who had similar problems; here's what it was all about: http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=12009

And yes, Tyger Tyger....phoned Sony in the Netherlands and first I needed to give them the serial and stuff of the machine. Then they asked when I purchased it. Since I knew the machine was about a year old, but didn't know exactly when it was bought, the helpdesk rep. said: "well, then I'll put it on the release date..." he was silent for a while then noted: "march 2003....that means a consult costs 20 Euros"

Swear to God.... ridiculous...

Ivar

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would have said August 2003 LOL
I can't believe the cheek of Sony
Thanks for the info anyway

TygerTyger
Visitor

Haha yeah at least now we know in advance :smileywink:.

"So when was your laptop purchased sir?"

"Um. What was the date yesterday?"

kee-lo_

I've just bought it mate!

Bossie
Visitor

Yeah... :slight_smile: :smileygrin:

I was SO surprised about this....unbelievable. So guys, if you need to phone Sony and the model was still sold in stores a year ago, just mention a date. I'm sure they can't even check it, because registration of your product is not mandatory anyway. Besides, before you can get tech support you need to spend at least 10 minutes on the phone handing them all the serials and stuff before you can actually....ermmm, file your complaint? No, find out you have to pay :tongue:

Anyway... thanks again all and have a nice day!

kee-lo_

By that time you have spent 70p

nemo66
Visitor

I've just bought it mate!

Kee-lo...u bought what?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I think Kee-Lo meant the date of purchase of the VAIO, if you state you just brought it you may be able to extract support from Sony when the warranty expires - well I live in hope anyway.