Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with a new battery for my A215Z (UK)

profile.country.GB.title
shanwar66
New

Problem with a new battery for my A215Z (UK)

Hi

Since my A215Z is more than 3 years old, the original battery doesn't hold its charge for long so i invested in a new battery. The model of the original battery is PCGA-BP2EA 4000 mAh. I couldn't find the original Sony battery to buy so i bought this one:

http://www.au-battery.com/sony-vaio-gr100-gr200-gr300-pcgabp2e-series-notebook-battery-p-341.html

When i started using this, i found that when the power reached 30-40% the notebook just switched off. So i assumed that the battery was faulty and got a replacement sent to me from the retailer (who is based in China). Now having received the second one, i am still getting the same problem, the notebook turns off when the power reaches <50%. So does this mean that this battery is incompatible with my notebook? Is it because its rated at 4400 mAh instead of 4000 mAh? Where can i buy a new battery for my notebook GUARANTEED to work?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi shaddy,

You are right, the genuine Sony replacement battery seems to be no longer available.

In theory any 11.1 Volt battery should work. However, you probably get what you pay for!!

There is only one trick I can think of. I'm not sure if your model has the Sony ISB Utility installed. Have a look and see if you have this file on your Vaio - C:\Program Files\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe

If you do, then see if it starts automatically when you boot. Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG + OK -> Startup Tab. If it is there, disable it by removing the tick from the box. This may help the battery to be accepted by the Vaio.

Googling for "PCGA-BP2EA" gives hundreds of hits but none of the hits are for the genuine battery. Unless someone here has bought one that works and can recommend it, then one is very much like another.

I do vaguely remember someone recommending this battery some time ago: -

http://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/laptop-notebook/sony/vaio-vgn-a215z-battery-adapter-charger.html

It is guaranteed to be 100% compatible and from a UK source.

:wink: