Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with Geforce4 MX440SE on PCV-RX301

MDH
Visitor

Problem with Geforce4 MX440SE on PCV-RX301

I've installed a PCI based Geforce4 MX440SE from MSI on my PCV-RX301. The card is recognised but seems to be the 2nd display in DXDIAG even when I disable or uninstall the on board SiS graphics. I'm trying to play LOTR Return of the King and Star Wars KOTOR but can't get them to work - get the message "could not find any compatible Direct3D devices with required capabilities. Make sure you have the current drivers for your video card".

I've tried updating to latest drivers from vVidia and MSI but still no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Can you disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS?

MDH
Visitor

How would I do that Rob? I've heard of BIOS but have no real idea how to alter it. What are the risks and how would I get round them?

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

When you first turn your computer on, tap either F2 or Del immediately. (Some computers use a different key to access the BIOS settings so if neither of the 2 I've mentioned works then check your manual for the correct key)

Once the BIOS settings screen is displayed have a look and see if there is an option in there to disable the onboard video or VGA. The option will normally be on the Advanced settings page if available.

There are not any risks to modifying these settings on a Sony computer as they will have disabled access to any risky options.

If or when you change the appropriate setting, select the save and exit option and allow the computer to reboot. Make sure you have your monitor plugged into your new card.