Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with my Wireless LAN on Notebook VGN-NR10E

enoe
Visitor

Problem with my Wireless LAN on Notebook VGN-NR10E

My apologies if this is not the right forum for this post (Please do let me know if there are other alternatives).

Today my Notebook VGN-NR10E started having serious problems with the Wireless LAN.

No wireless connections are recognized by the Windows Vista desktop toolbar utility and if I click on the option "Diagnose why Windows cannot find any additional networks" the following message appears:

THIS COMPUTER DOES NOT HAVE A WIRELESS NETWORK ADAPTER INSTALLED AND CONFIGURED

In the VAIO Smart Network Software that runs in my computer at Start Up there always use to be an icon for the LAN, MODEM and WLAN. Now the WLAN icon has disappeared no matter if I move the WIRELESS LAN switch ON and OFF in the front panel of my VAIO.

I looked into the Device Manager and effectively there are no Wireless adapters displayed.

I checked into the C:\WINDOWS\Drivers folders and found the following drivers installed:

* Wireless LAN Driver (Atheros) 7.2B - 7.2.0.215
* Wireless LAN Driver (Intel) 11.1.1 V - 11.1.1.16

The next thing I tried was to reinstall the WLAN drivers using the VAIO Recovery Center but after a successful reinstall the problem remained.

I also noticed that for some unfortunate reason my computer was configured to install all the windows updates automatically!! Before facing the problem the Windows Update utility installed the following fixes in the system:

* Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.24.5399.0)
* Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [January 2008] (KB905866)
* Security Update for Windows Vista (KB941644)
* Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2008 (KB890830)
* Update for Windows Vista (KB943302)
* Update for Windows Vista (KB943899)
* Update for Windows Vista (KB943411)

My last option was then to use the System Restore Utility in Windows to restore my computer to the previous state before installing the updates. After several minutes of restore Windows cancelled the process reporting an unexpected error that prevents the system to be restored to the previous point. THAT WAS REALLY FRUSTRATING.

I would like to ask for any advice, ideas, recommendations that could help me to troubleshoot this problem with my VAIO notebook. Also if you know or any other support alternatives either trough SONY or Microsoft I would be very grateful to know.

I was thinking in using the Recovery Disks to restore the complete system to its factory settings but I found that my disks are lost somewhere and I don't know if it would be possible to obtain new recovery disk from Sony...

Many thanks in advance for your help.

15 REPLIES 15
venkojee
Visitor

Hi,

I am facing a similar issue as well, I contacted the Sony VAIO support centre but had to wait for 20 mins and then the call got disconnected, If there are anyone who had overcome this issue please mail back to the forum.

Many Thanks
V

pl01
Visitor

Also having the same problem. Very annoying. Vista also disables my external firewire sound card for no reason. I just know if XP was installed then these issues wouldn't be happening.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi enoe

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Go to Device manager and expand the network adaptors..

Do you see your Wireless device listed.?

If so are there any error codes or icons.?

I was thinking in using the Recovery Disks to restore the complete system to its factory settings but I found that my disks are lost somewhere and I don't know if it would be possible to obtain new recovery disk from Sony...

Your NR series vaio has a HDD recovery partition, you can use this partition to recover your Vaio.. :wink:

To do this by Restart your Vaio, when you see the Vaio Logo press the F10 key repeatedly.

You can also create a new set of recovery disc's using the Vaio Recovery utility.. :wink:

pl01
Visitor

Hi enoe

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Go to Device manager and expand the network adaptors..

Do you see your Wireless device listed.?

If so are there any error codes or icons.?

No error codes and the wireless device isn't listed.

dazwan
Visitor

Hi,

I am facing a similar issue as well, I contacted the Sony VAIO support centre but had to wait for 20 mins and then the call got disconnected, If there are anyone who had overcome this issue please mail back to the forum.

Many Thanks
V

wow should this matter be brought forward, i posted this a while back too but no1 replied, this happens to me i get disconected frequently

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi pl01

have you tried downloading the Original Drivers Package and Original Utilities Package, then installing the Wireless LAN Driver and the Wireless Switch Setting Utility..?

You can download these packages via the Sony Vaio Support site, use this link: Sony Vaio Support

Did your problems start after installing the updates enoe posted above, if so have you tried a system restore to a point before the updates were installed.?

pl01
Visitor

Hi pl01

have you tried downloading the Original Drivers Package and Original Utilities Package, then installing the Wireless LAN Driver and the Wireless Switch Setting Utility..?

You can download these packages via the Sony Vaio Support site, use this link: Sony Vaio Support

Did your problems start after installing the updates enoe posted above, if so have you tried a system restore to a point before the updates were installed.?

I've reinstalled the drivers via the recovery disk and also tried system restore. I've been able to get the WLAN back visible in the device manager then after so long, i lose my connection, so I check device manager again and once again its vanished.

Don't know why we don't get the Vista CD as I want to do a clean install because I don't want any of the pre-installed software.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I've reinstalled the drivers via the recovery disk and also tried system restore. I've been able to get the WLAN back visible in the device manager then after so long, i lose my connection, so I check device manager again and once again its vanished.

Hi pl01,

Do you have a VGN-NR10E Vaio or a different model.?

Do you have both bluetooth and WLAN enabled.?

Does a restart restore the WLAN once you loose connection and your WLAN vanishes.?

pl01
Visitor

Do you have a VGN-NR10E Vaio or a different model.?

Do you have both bluetooth and WLAN enabled.?

Does a restart restore the WLAN once you loose connection and your WLAN vanishes.?

Hi,

My Vaio is VGN-NR10E, don't believe i have bluetooth enabled, well I've not enabled it. Where is it located and I'll check to make sure :slight_smile:

I restored my system before my last windows update (KB915597) and reinstalled all the drivers. Worked fine, then WLAN vanished.

Problems started after installing the following updates...

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.24.5399.0)
Installation date: ‎11/‎01/‎2008 00:50

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.24.5611.0)
Installation date: ‎19/‎01/‎2008 00:52

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.24.5778.0)
Installation date: ‎23/‎01/‎2008 13:30

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.24.5865.0)
Installation date: ‎25/‎01/‎2008 12:07