Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with new Laptop + eSupport

LePsycho
Visitor

Problem with new Laptop + eSupport

I registered with eSupport yesterday to try and sort out my problem, I decided to enter the gaurantee later. I've found it now on our receipt and it's in the form XXX / XX / XXXXXXXXXXX
I try to enter this but it doesn't work. Now I'm sure my problem will be ignored as we're "outside" our guarantee, even though we have it until the 17th December next year.

I also can't edit the day it was purchased, it put 29th dec. 2006 as default but we actually bought it on the 16th.

If I can get this to work I'll have to try asking here. The problem's pretty serious as we can't start the laptop without it flashing the Blue Screen of Death and restarting...
It was working before, I'll add details if I can't sort eSupport out...
Any help apprectiated,
LePsycho

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi LePsycho and welcome to Club Vaio.

I don't think you have to enter the guarantee number unless you have purchased an extended guarantee. All you need is the Serial Number to Register and your guarantee will be valid.

Your Serial Number is in the format

XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX
(eight numbers dash seven numbers)

You will find it on the sticker on the bottom of your Vaio and also on the outside of the box it came in. It is normally below a bar-code.

As you have a 2 year European guarantee, I would phone Vaio-Link on Tuesday to check about the guarantee HERE VAIO-LINK

There are two things you can try:

1. Turn your Vaio on and when you see the Vaio logo on the screen press F8 repeatedly. This should take you to an Options screen. Using the up/down arrow keys select "Last Known Good Coniguration" and press Enter. This will try to open Windows with the settings that were installed the last time you booted successfully.

Have you tried a full Recovery? This will reset your Vaio to the configuration when you bought it. You will lose any programs and settings you have added to drive C: and have to reload them along with all Updates.

2. When the Vaio boots and at the first screen with the Vaio Logo, tap F10 repeatedly. This should start the Recovery Wizard.
Choose Recover my Computer and then Drive C: Recovery (default).
Follow the prompts and the Operating System and Applications will be reinstalled.
Make sure you have the Vaio attached to mains AC as the recovery may take some time.
ON NO ACCOUNT stop the recovery until it has finished.

Good Luck.

:wink:

LePsycho
Visitor

I removed the battery this morning, left it for a minute. Let it do the system drain thing (not sure what it's called, but I usually do this when a BSOD comes) and bingo, it's working again. Haven't lost any programs, haven't had to redo anything, and am replying with the laptop right now.
Thanks anyway, I didn't want to use the system recovery just yet, good thing I didn't.
LePsycho

P.S Thanks for the instructions on getting to the Options menu, I didn't see that in the manuals.