Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with security update for windows xp (kb925902)

PMed
Visitor

Problems with security update for windows xp (kb925902)

I have had problems with this security update (KB925902) as it caused a dll, file belonging to the realtek hd audio software, to 'illegaly' move to a different location, therfore causing the program not to work. Each time i logged on to my laptop (vgn-fs415s) an error message appeared to tell me this, which was quite annoying. To cure this problem i carried out a system restore to the point before this update was installed and now all is fine and back to normal. To prevent this from happening again i turned automatic updates off, and to the manually download and install updates option, so that i can decide not to reinstall this update, unlike before when it was carried out automatically.
I hope this information is useful to anyone else who may now have an error box appearing each time you log on, and by uninstalling the update, the problem should be cured. :party:

6 REPLIES 6
Richardfj
Visitor

Microsoft has a patch for this problem.
On a slightly different note my laptop,VGN-FS315E, completely shuts me out during auto updates,any idea why?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi PMed

Your right the error message was caused by the latest MS Security update (KB925902), have a look at KB935448 for a solution.. :slight_smile:

PMed
Visitor

Thanks for the information, i have looked at the microsoft info, which basically says not to install it, or uninstall the update to prevent or cure the problem. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for the information, i have looked at the microsoft info, which basically says not to install it, or uninstall the update to prevent or cure the problem. :slight_smile:

Hi Pmed,

I've not read that the update should be removed to prevent the problem... :thinking:

The fix has worked for my Vaio...

Update for Windows XP (KB935448 )
Brief Description
Install this update to resolve an issue where the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel may not start after you install security update KB925902 (MS07-017) and security update KB928843 (MS07-008).

PMed
Visitor

I carried out what you suggested, and reinstalled kb925902 followed by the KB935448 fix updtae, and now realtek is running fine as well as the laptop being up to date. thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome PMed.. :slight_smile: