Join now - be part of our community!

Program and Favorite list icons

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Program and Favorite list icons

Hello Gents,

I might have had this little problem before but forgot what to do, sorry.

All the icons in my internet favorites list and program list (via the start menu), have lost their proper picture type format and now have 'file' or 'explorer' (in the case of favorites list) type icons.

Don't know what caused this change but how can I correct situation please.

Thank you,

Gyron

37 REPLIES 37
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Thank you for reply and lead.

Thank you also for the explanation, I must be a bit dim I am afraid!! Anyway, I agree that the 'Desktop Icon Layout Save' program is a bit OTT but tried it nevertheless - I could not get it to work after desktop icons got scrambled, obviously doing something wrong, never mind.

Re the primary link to repair icons, I ran this but I think it only applies to the desktop icons and mine are OK, it tried to do something but all it suceeded in doing was to scramble the desktop icons as warned! None of the others that have gone wrong have been repaired (icons in IE favorites list and icons in start>programs list) - hey ho!

What is annoying is that I can not get the icon cache to rebuild itself, I am pretty sure that would help. I will try and find some Microsoft link that might give some advice on this.

Thank you anyway for all your help Rich.

Kind regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

Sorry to hear that the suggested link had no effect.

Just out of interest can you try repairing an individual icon?

If you right click one of the items in ‘Start –> All Programs' that has an incorrect icon, and then select properties, on the Shortcut tab you will see a ‘Change Icon' tab. Click this.

You may then be presented with alternative icons relevant to the application, but if not click ‘Browse’ and navigate to the location of the program (usually C:\Program Files\Application name), and select the .exe file that has the desired icon.

Select this and click ‘Open’.

You should then be returned to the Change Icon window with the correct icon highlighted. Click OK.

Does this correct the individual icon?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello again Rich,

I tried what you said Start>All Programs; firstly there is no Shortcut Tab as such but going to Properties>Customise there is a 'Change Icon' tab. When opened this gives a standard list of icons none of which apply to the application. However if you click 'Browse' then you open the System32 file. In this System32 file nearly all the apps are represented by an icon with a couple of gear cogs shown!

Sorry couldn't help more.

Does this tell you anything??

Kind regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

Maybe we are talking at cross purposes but I have a feeling that you are clicking a folder rather than an executable program? Is it the folder icons that are the problem or individual program shortcut icons?

Assuming that it is the latter, as I know that you have TuneUp Utilities installed, - Click ‘Start’ -> ‘All Programs’ and then right click ‘TuneUp Utilities’ (the icon that would normally launch the program) and select ‘Properties’.

This will open a new window with three tabs, General, Shortcut and Compatibility. Click the Shortcut tab and then click ‘Change Icon’.

The dialogue box at the top, under ‘Look for icons in this file’, will show the current location of the icon which should be C:\ Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2007\Intergrator.exe (may be slightly different if you have a more recent version).

If this program is not showing the correct icon then click the Browse button and navigate to the above location and click ‘Open’.

You should then be returned to the Change Icon window with the correct icon highlighted. Click OK.

If I have completely misinterpreted the problem then can you please post a screenshot for clarification?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

You must be getting fed up with all this, so sorry but thank you.

OK, I don't know whether we are talking at cross purposes, but I hope not.

Following your example regarding TuneUp Utilities (as it happens, that particular example is one of the very few showing the correct icon). Nevertheless it is exactly as you say, Start>Programs>TuneUp Utilities>right click>properties>shortcut cut tab>Change icon, the box shows only one icon the correct one and that being shown. The 'Browse'address is, as you say, TuneUp Utilities 2010\Integrator.exe . Just out of interest, clicking the Browse button opens 'My Documents' page of folders.

Now, I have another 'TuneUp Utilities' icon further up the list of programs (showing the incorrect icon), but this one has an arrow pointing to the side with three options - one saying 'All Functions' with incorrect icon, the second 'TuneUp Utilities' with correct icon, the third showing 'TuneUp Utilities Help' with correct icon. If I right click on the 'TuneUp Utilities' in the main program list I am presented with a page with three tabs, General, Sharing, Customise. It is only in 'Customise' that the 'change icon' option appears. If I click this I am presented with a large selection of icons none of which is correct. The 'Browse' window shows the address 'TuneUp Utilities%\System32\SHELL 32.dll.

The situation I have described in the above paragraph is exactly the same for all programs with side arrows (the majority).

Those (few) programs showing the correct icon do not have side arrows!

I hope the above makes sense. If you do need a screen shot of anything please advise further.

Out of interest, the above does not apply to the IE Favorites list, the vast majority of which only show the 'e' icon.

Kindest regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

No, I am not getting fed up with this – I love a challenge :wink:

You refer to icons that have arrows pointing to the side (right pointing?) that open executable programs within that folder. Does ‘All Functions’ (I have a feeling that this is ‘Utilities’ in earlier versions of this application) have a further right pointing arrow that opens executable programs? Do these (executable) links have the correct icon?

I have included a screenshot of how it should appear, if this is not what you are seeing on your machine then please post a screenshot?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Thank you for that, still feel as though I am being a bit of a pain!

Anyway;

You refer to icons that have arrows pointing to the side (right pointing?) that open executable programs within that folder. Does ‘All Functions’ (I have a feeling that this is ‘Utilities’ in earlier versions of this application) have a further right pointing arrow that opens executable programs? Do these (executable) links have the correct icon?

Yes, exactly as your screen shot shows, and all the other programs in the list where such a second right pointing arrow applies.

Must ask TuneUp why (and should) I have 2 such TuneUp 'Programs' in the list. As I said earlier, the second 'Program' has the correct icon and no right pointing arrow!

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I have 2 such TuneUp 'Programs' in the list. As I said earlier, the second 'Program' has the correct icon and no right pointing arrow!

Hi Gyron,

would it be possible for you upload an screen shot please.?

gyron1
Explorer

Hello Thalamus,

Of what exactly please, thanks

Kind regaards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

Must ask TuneUp why (and should) I have 2 such TuneUp 'Programs' in the list. As I said earlier, the second 'Program' has the correct icon and no right pointing arrow!

You have one folder (containing further links) and one individual icon (link) that launches the main application.

Icons that have a right pointing arrow are folders containing further links. These folders have a generic folder icon (as in the screenshot), not an identifiable program icon as with executable links.

Some programs, when installed, place both a folder and a single executable link in the ‘Start’ menu to launch the main application – this is the case with TuneUp Utilities.

It may help if you arrange your Start Menu programs alphabetically – with this layout folders are listed first and then individual program icons (both alphabetically).

To rearrange your start menu alphabetically, right click any folder or program icon in the start -> All Programs menu and select ‘Sort by Name’.

I hope that this helps.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat