Join now - be part of our community!

Quick-ish guide to the current Intel processors!

Woody27
Visitor

Quick-ish guide to the current Intel processors!

There seems to be some confusion as to what the various Intel procesors are and what features they have. I hope this quick guide will help new and old users alike! :smileygrin:

Intel Pentium 4:

Processor used mainly in desktop machines but also found in many of the VAIO laptops. Can get hot in a laptop as it produces a lot of heat (which is harder to disipate in a laptop). Usually has around 1 Mb of cache. Currently the fastest chip, but eats batterys.

Intel Pentium 4HT:

Same as the above but with 'Hyper-Threading'. This allows the chip to conduct more that one 'Thread' (task) at once, speeding the machine up. However, the software HAS TO BE WRITTEN SPECIFICALLY for HT enabled chips (i.e. not much is!). Non optimised programs can actually run slower on HT enabled P4's. Rare on VAIOs but is on some high end models (e.g. the GRT range).

Intel Pentium 4HT EXTREME EDITION:

Same as above but with optimised cache and some other speed enhancing features! Gets VERY HOT! It is not currently available in VAIO laptops... ...with good reason, strictly a desktop processor!

Intel Pentium 4M:

Mobile version of the Pentium 4 , runs cooler slightly less powerfull for the equivalent clock speed. Used in a small minority of VAIOs.

Intel Pentium-M

A new chip (not to be confused with the Pentium 4M, Intel like to confuse the public) based around a new architecture. Runs much cooler that a P4 and slower. However, it does approx. twice as much per clock cyle so is roughly equivalent to a P4 of twice the speed. It also uses much less power and can regulate the power it requires and its clock speed better than a P4 or Pentium 4 M. The ideal processor for a laptops as this results in longer batter life and an end to most over-heating problems. Can have upto 2 Mb of cache. Present in the ultra-thin VAIO 505.

Intel Centrino Mobile Technology:

This is were the confusions really starts (once again Intel marketings fault)! :slight_frown:

Centrino based laptops contain a Pentium-M processor (and all it's laptop based benefits) combined with an Intel Pro-wireless card. That is why all Centrino based products also have Wireless built in. Seen in many of the recent VAIO models.

Intel Celeron:

Cheaper version of the Pentium 4 but without the cache, so it is a little slower than a P4 of equivalent clock speed. Found in the lower end of the K range. Still gets quite hot!

There, hope that clears that up!

NOTE:

I don't know very much about AMD prcessors (apart from the fact that they are just as good as the Intel quivalents)... ...maybe someone else may want to tell us about them. However, Sony don't really seem to use them anymore (same with the Crusoe processor) so maybe this is enough info!

13 REPLIES 13
Woody27
Visitor

To be honest I think you would need a fridge compressor cooler to work one of those well.

Kee-Lo,

Don't suggest that, next thing you know we'll have fridge freezers with bloody 'Intel Inside' stickers on them. I can imagine it now....

.... The new Zanussi X21 Fridge Freezer with 'Intel' Ice Box technology! Now you can run DOOM 3 at 250 fps and store that bottle of Chardonnay at the same time! ROFL

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

CW

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think Tom's Hardware Guide beat us to it, they used a fridge compressor to cool a 4Ghz chip about 2 years ago.

Woody27
Visitor

I think Tom's Hardware Guide beat us to it, they used a fridge compressor to cool a 4Ghz chip about 2 years ago.

Incredible!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah it was...