Join now - be part of our community!

"always ask before opening this type of file"

profile.country.en_GB.title
Badjester
New

Oh my days! I'm at my wits end trying to find the answer to this. Ok I'll explain and ask my question as best I can...

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, when I download a file it goes into the Downloads folder as usual. Then if it's an installation file I click on it and I'm presented with a pop up box that asks me if I would like to RUN or OPEN. Further down on this pop up there is a check box with...

This is usually ticked therefore presenting me with this pop up box each time. I stupidly unticked this box and now when I click on a file it no longer pops up asking if I want to RUN or OPEN. I have spent hours searching the net and every suggestion doesn't work. There doesn't seem to be a simple option to just enable this again. Does anyone know how to fix this before I tear my hair out. Such a small simple thing but so annoying not being able to find it.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Badjester

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Badjester,

It would have been helpful to have known what you have already tried, but in the hope that you have not tried a registry edit then have a look at the following link.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/reset-always-ask-before-opening-this-type-of-file-check-box-in-vista-i...

Although this mentions Vista the same should apply for Win 7. Make sure you make a backup of the Registry before making any changes.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat