Join now - be part of our community!

RAM and BIOS

milano_chris
Visitor

RAM and BIOS

My BIOS and/or OS (WIN XP SP1) in my PCG-K195HP will not accept the 1 GB of RAM I have installed and is only seeing 768MB.

Could this be my BIOS if so where can I download an update???

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Mmmh, try only one RAM modul and then try the other. Maybe ony modul is damaged.

milano_chris
Visitor

I made the shop I bought it from test it for me and they said it was due to the BIOS and or System not recognising it. They did some test with a CD that can scan the modules to see of they are fine and it came up OK though I did not see it.

Everest says 2x 512 MB RAM is installed when I query the ports but it only see 768 MB too (including shared video memory)

seb21__
Visitor

That is strange.

Mmmh, click

Start > Run > msconfig > BOOT.INI > extended or expanded options.

There you should see the point MAXMEM. Is that enable? That must be disable.
If you click enable, then you see the maximal RAM which Windows recognize. (without shared ram)

milano_chris
Visitor

The BIOS won't accept it so it won't have anything to do with the OS surely as the OS doesn't load till after the BIOS checks.

seb21__
Visitor

But your VAIO should work with 1GB. Seems that you must contact VAIO-Link. But I think I know the answer. it doesn't work, because you don't use SonyRam. which is b*******.

milano_chris
Visitor

But your VAIO should work with  1GB. Seems that you must contact VAIO-Link. But I think I know the answer. it doesn't work, because you don't use SonyRam. which is b*******.

:laughing:

Will try the one in one out option to see what happens. If it is knackered I'll take it back to the shop and be angry!

seb21__
Visitor

LOL