Join now - be part of our community!

RAM

Josh-2552
Visitor

RAM

i already have 512 installed.

i am going to buy some RAM, ive found the correct type, but there are three options, nd i'm spoilt for choice :wink: there is 256 for £25, not interested. There's 512 for £35 (most likely), and there's 1024 for £70/£75 .

the thing is, i'm unsure what i need- i'm definitely getting a minimum of 512, but i'm considering 1024. i want to know which people would recommend; i use my laptop for internet browsin, msn, and Word or Excel. these would say 512, but i occasionally use it to play AoE3 when i'v got nothin to do, and it can be stuttery, even when i'v turned my firewall off and lowered the resolution. is this down to lack of RAM? bearing in mind it recommends 512 and 128 is stolen by my graphics card.

any thoughts are greatly appreciated

9 REPLIES 9
Josh-2552
Visitor

anybody? thisll put it ion recent threads, so i mite get a reply :tongue:

profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

My vice is WOW, for that reason I added 512MB for a total of 1GB. More memory should not be needed. Keep in mind that all additional memory will need to be powered and therefore drains the battery and produces heat on its own.

Non-fluent gameplay might be due to different causes. Background tasks like virus protection, office indexing, vaio zone indexing, file sharing, god knows what can be a problem. Just as well your graphics card could be overtaxed. You do not state which model you use, so I dont know if that is likely with Age of Empires 3.

Josh-2552
Visitor

it's an fs415e. it meets the specs easily, so i am unsure what the problem could be- it is most likely to be the antivirus, but some more RAM would be nice :smileygrin:

so your saying 1gb is plenty? i'm probably getting carried away :wink:

cheers,

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Josh,

One thing to consider, as you only have 2 memory slots, is if at a later date you wish to increase your RAM again you will have to discard one of your 512 RAM modules so as to fit a 1GB RAM module.

Josh-2552
Visitor

ye, i did realise that, and it's just another annoyance. but at the end of the day, the difference between £35 and £77.50 is quite large. only thing is that RAM value may decrease in the future, and should i want to further upgrade it, it might not cost so much, and i can always try and sell what i don't want. oh well; birthday soon, see if theyll be leniant; only problem was this laptop was sposed to be early prezzy, so itll prob be out of my own pocket.

i have noticed that ram for desktops is alot more flexible than laptops. am i right?

ps. wooo guru now.... novelty's run out already :tongue:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

An extra 512 will be fine and as you said RAM may be cheaper in the future anyway, just thought I'd mention it though..:smileyhappy:

A few of us were waiting last night for something special for your 150th post but you went off line...:smileysad:

:cool: Congrats on the Guru status though..:smileyhappy:

Josh-2552
Visitor

well cheers anyway :laughing: it got to the point where i were fallin asleep nearly, so i thought i'd best turn off.

anyway, i'll get the 512 after all this advice :smileygrin:

thanks,

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I feel 1GB is well enough

phuongk15
Visitor

As I remember your PC uses celeron processor and on-board Intel Graphic card. That's why your game turns slow.
1GB is enough, more RAM in my opinion would not improve your laptop's performance 'cos the processor and graphic card is not quite good for such games.
I would say graphic card play the essential role for games. Unforturnately, you can not upgrade your graphic card.