Join now - be part of our community!

Recorded TV playback issue

Barkingtoad
Visitor

Recorded TV playback issue

Evening,
I seem to be having problems with playback of Recorded TV, the image and sound keeps jumping every couple of seconds. This happens with all recordings I have done.
Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

This only happens when the processor is not set to 'high performance'. Right click on your battery icon and set it. I assume you have Vista but the same applies to XP.

Barkingtoad
Visitor

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply, I have MCE after trying Vista with heaps of problems I returned to the original install. The XL-201 is standard out of the box except I have 3GB of memory.
I have tried setting performance to best in Control Panel|System|Advanced but this didn´t help. Yesterday the update of Media Player was installed automatically but that didn´t improve the problem. It seems all ok until about minute 15, so I guess it must be something to do with memory or CPU as you said.
Regards

tonybeard
Explorer

Right click on 'my computer'>manage>services and applications>services> and in the stop start services CAREFULLY assess what you really don't require running. SQL server for vaio entertainment can be off or My SQL and any web database engines like Cold fusion. Wouldn't touch any windows applications. Most of the Vaio network for a home network...off. Anyways if something goes on the blink you can always switch it back on. Generally all these settings reset on start up so do this before you record anything and stay on stand-by. Another thing is to get Tune Up Utilities free trial and do all it reccommends here

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Just a thought - but worth checking!

Is DMA (Direct Memory Access) enabled on your hard drive? This allows you to play Video without going through the CPU and makes data transfer much quicker.

Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
Double-click on Primary IDE Channel -> Advanced Settings.
Make sure ALL devices have "DMA if Available" selected and check that the Current Transfer Mode is "Ultra DMA Mode 4/5/6".

:thinking:

@7908848805001668
Visitor

Hallo all
Glad to be back - trying to find out whether or not the XL201 Vista upgrade issues have been resolved yet but when I saw this post I thought I might agree with Blencogo.

I use a striped RAID setup (for speed - thanks, B!) and find very occasionally that the picture judders/freezes. When it does so, more often than not it's when recording 2 programmes and watching a (recorded) third at the same time. The "freeze" - which is no more than a second or so always seems to happen when there is a lot of disk activity showing on the light - I'd guess that programme data is put into memory and streamed to the hard-disk in a chunk because of the other activities going on. If there is a bit of a log-jam I'd have thought that the picture will freeze.

Incidentally, it takes the TV signal about 1 - 2 seconds to go through the system as far as the screen compared with a normal TV. When watching a programme on the XL201, with the TV in the next room on as well, the delay is noticeable.

AndyR

(PS If it's no trouble, could someone post a link here to the latest Vista and other driver issues for the 201 - just in case I don't stumble across the definitive answers in a few moments. Thanks.)