Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery Media Kit Required

profile.country.en_GB.title
robertkay
Visitor

Recovery Media Kit Required

I have a Notebook PCG-V505DX which a friend brought back from USA for me a few years ago.

The hard drive has crashed and been replaced but I cannot find the recovery media given to me with the Notebook,( 2 Cd's that were created when the Notebook was first set up). I have been on to the Sony USA site but they no longer have them in the accessories and parts Centre.

Can anyone help please

regards

Robert

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi robertkay,

If the recovery media is no longer available you can install a retail copy of Windows XP and then download and install the Sony drivers and utilities from the USA Support site.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=PCGV505DX&template_id=1®ion_id=1&tab=download#/downl...

Some of the Sony software may not install as the files available seem to be updates that will require the original software to be in place but drivers and utilities should work.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
robertkay
Visitor

Tried to do that but machine now refuses to recognise the Optical Drive.

Hair is nearly all on floor

regards

Robert

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Robert,

May be a long shot but have you checked that the optical drive is set to the top of the list of boot devices in the BIOS settings?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
robertkay
Visitor

Hi Rich

Yes done all that, There was never an issue with the optical drive before Have tried also to connect usb Optical drive but will not recognise that either

Robert

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Robert,

I'm not sure what else to suggest - maybe a cable to the optical drive has become lose during the process of changing the hard drive?

Rich

Edit: I don't think your model supports booting from a USB device but may be wrong on this...

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
robertkay
Visitor

Hi Rich

Checked all of the cables now out of ideas

if some one has the recovery disks then I might be able to sort it out

anybody

Robert

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Robert,

The likelihood of an EU member having recovery media for a US model is slim but I wish you luck!

There is always the possibility that a ribbon cable was damaged during the HD replacement – I know this to my cost having damaged a Magic Gate FRC during disassembly of one of my ancient Vaios.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
robertkay
Visitor

Ok Rich thanks for trying will let you know how I get on

Robert