Join now - be part of our community!

Remote Control Reciever Stops Working in Vista

acecooper
Visitor

Remote Control Reciever Stops Working in Vista

Hi,

I've got Windows Vista installed on my Vaio AR-11M laptop- it works great! :slight_smile:

One problem that i've bumped into-

After a week or so of using Vista the IR Reciever in the laptop that is used to pick up signals from the Media Center Remote has stopped working- If i uninstall the device from device manager (it shows up as 'eHome IR Reciever') Windows says 'USB Device not recognised' when it tries to install it again and later says 'unknown device' sucesfully installed... I've had this problem in Vista Beta 2/RC1 etc.

Any ideas how i can fix this!? Anyone else have this problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Dekesh
Visitor

guess you will have to wait for sony to release the drivers. have you checked this page out. you might want to download and install most of the drivers from here and also the utilities as well and all should work. let us know how it goes

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is this a Sony supplied Remote Commander or is it a MCE Remote bought seperately?

I'm just trying to see if it's a Sony driver/utility problem or a Microsoft problem.

:thinking:

acecooper
Visitor

It's the default Sony Branded remote that came with the laptop and features the 'media center logo' button. When media center was installed it appears as 'eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)' and when i first installed Vista it appeared as that as well. But after a few reboots it suddenly reinstalled itself as 'Unknown Device'. It sounds like the driver is supplied by Microsoft.

Any ideas on how to fix this- anyone else using a remote control on Vista?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi acecooper,

I hear there are over 200 Microsoft KB Hotfixes for Vista already.

This one appears to address the MCE Remote - KB929734 - and other devices not working properly.

KB929734 DOWNLOAD

:wink:

admin
Visitor

The hotfix above should work, if like we the remote becomes unrecognised after resuming from Sleep... I full shutdown was needed to get it back and the application of the hotfix

acecooper
Visitor

Thanks for going through the trouble of finding the download for me but it hasn't worked! I still have the same problem. I've tried uninstalling it/refreshing my 'unknown device/ehome IR' as well as installing the drivers and utilities from the sony site but still no luck.

Thanks again,
Anyone have another solution?

profile.country.en_GB.title
jumbles1971
Visitor

This might be worth a try as it worked for me when everything else failed...

Try disabling Data Execution Prevention. I did it to solve a problem installing my printer and as a side effect my remote started working again (it has stopped after I installed Vista).

Here's a link, but please don't blame me if it all goes wrong...

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_data_execution_prevention.htm

acecooper
Visitor

Hmm, i disable the data execution in Windows but the IR Remote has started working! I thank that Microsoft Hotfix link that was posted (thanks again Blencogo and everyone who helped!). Now that the remote is working i've been able to use media center to play music when i have mates round!- everyone loves it :grin:

I've noticed a new update on Windows Update that says 'Itrontech Infra-red drivers' so this would'ave fixed it i guess! Thanks again!

Charlie
- now a happy forum user