Renaming user account

djwoody
Visitor

Renaming user account

In Documents and settings i have three user accounts:
Administrator
All Users
Woody1

Is there any way of renaming the Woody1 folder to Woody? It says i cannot rename due to it being a system folder.

I know I am being fussy but it is bugging me! he he.

Hope you can help.

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Chris,

Make sure you are signed on as an administrator or as Woody1.

Contol Panel>>User Accounts>>Woody1

You can change almost anything!! The User Directory will be renamed automatically.

:slight_smile:

EDIT: I am assuming you are using XP Home. If you are using XP Pro, you will have to be signed on as an administrator and go to Control Panel>>Performance & Maintenance>>Administrative Tools>>Computer Management>>System Tools>>Local Users & Groups. Right-click on Woody1 and choose 'Rename'.

:slight_smile:

djwoody
Visitor

Still no luck. Any others ideas, is there anything in the registry that might need changing?

Chris

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Chris,

From Microsoft documentation:-

To rename a user account

1.Open Computer Management

2.In the console tree, click Users.

Where?

Computer Management > System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Users

3.Right-click the user account you want to rename, and then click Rename.

4.Type the new user name, and then press ENTER.

Note

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

Because it retains its security identifier (SID), a renamed user account retains all its other properties, such as its description, password, group memberships, user environment profile, account information, and any assigned permissions and rights.

A user name cannot be identical to any other user or group name of the computer being administered. It can contain up to 20 uppercase or lowercase characters except the following:

" / \ [ ] : ; | = , + * ? < >

A user name cannot consist solely of periods (.) or spaces.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you have XP MCE - this should be the same as XP Pro and Rich's instructions should work.

Are you signed on as "Administrator"?

:thinking: