Visitor

Replace a HDD in a VAIO VGN-FE41S

I intend to buy a faster and bigger HDD for my VAIO VGN-FE41S

The existing HDD is too slow and full

FUJITSU MHV2160BT PL ATA Device
    Manufacturer    Unknown manufacturer
    Interface    IDE
    Capacity    156GB

I cannot find an instruction if there are limits regarding size and type.

Who can advise me?

When I replace the HDD what do I have to do to get it running.

Special formatting ? Partioning?

Can I restart the laptop with the recover CD's and reload the data which I have stored for the moment on an external HDD?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Peter

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Peter,

If you have a FE41S then the HDD will be a SATA drive (not PATA as you have said).  See the specifications for your model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-FE41S&l=en_GB

Any SATA drive with the correct form factor will work and there are no size limitations - drives are now available up to 750GB.  You need a 2.5 inch drive sized 100 X 70 X 9.5mm - take care as some of the newer 500GB+ drives have 3 platters and are too thick to fit in your Vaio.  Make sure it is only 9.5mm thick.

It may be a good idea to make another set of Recovery Discs - better safe than sorry.

If you insert the new hard drive and boot from the Recovery Discs, the new drive will have the original OS loaded on to it along with the original software.  You will then need to run Vaio Update and Windows Update and then reload your programs and data.  No special formatting is needed.

Alternatively, you could make a mirror of your drive and reload it onto your new dfrive.  Something like Acronis True Image would do this.

If you install any other OS, you will need to load the SATA drivers during the installation - this is not necessary if you use the Recovery Discs.

:wink: