Join now - be part of our community!

Replacing hard drive : VGN-S3XP

profile.country.en_GB.title
FullyCharged
Visitor

Replacing hard drive : VGN-S3XP

Hi,

I'm having trouble opening up the laptop to replace the drive.

I turned it upside down (when shut) and removed:

- The battery pack.

- The two covers that are attached with one screw eact (one for processor, other for memory I think).
- All remaining screws visible from the under side.

The cover is much more loose but won't come off.

I carefully turned it the right way up (with screws off), flipped the screen up and checked if the plastic surface will lift (the entire surface that you're presented with), which it does. It actually seems like this is the right way to take the laptop apart after unscrewing, as I can see the hard drive and other components but can't get to it without fully taking the laptop apart.

What am I doing wrong / what should I be doing to get it off?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You have to remove the keyboard and there are 5 screws underneath.

Send me an email address by PM and I will send you the full disassembly instructions complete with pictures.

:thinking:

FullyCharged
Visitor

Blencogo, you are the master....job done. Thank you.

But along the way I created a problem:

Page 5, point 2 of the instruction manual asked me to 'disconnect the harness' (and FFC).

I started on the left harness and realised too late that it doesn't simply unplug, as it is soldered to the circuit board. Instead you just have to unhook the wire from the plastic hooks, which lead to it. Therefore the second was fine (unhooked). The FFC's were easy (disconnect/unplug).

So at th emoment the left one is dangling. I put the lapop back together and switched on: it ran fine.

But I don't know what I have done by plucking it off the circuit board - any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

So at th emoment the left one is dangling.

But I don't know what I have done by plucking it off the circuit board - any ideas?

Are both of your internal speakers working?

BTW the white harnesses do detach but it does take some patients and fiddling to achieve this.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
FullyCharged
Visitor

Sorry for the delay...

You're right about the harness being fiddly.

Good spot - only the right works.

Have checked both ways: (1) through the loudspeakers, (2) with headphones on.

The left side is dead  :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Have checked both ways: (1) through the loudspeakers, (2) with headphones on.

The left side is dead 

That's not good news but it is repairable. Unfortunatly it will probably cost in the region of £120 including collection and return:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat