Join now - be part of our community!

Restore recovery partition

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Restore recovery partition

I created two dvd's with the recovery stuff on it with Vaio Recovery Tool. After creating the dvd's I made the parition unallocated (Everything removed) with Norton Partition Magic instead of using Vaio software....now I have a primary partition and I can't move the extra space to my d or c drive.

I want to recover the partition again, and want to know how to do this. I have the FE11S laptop.

thx ahead

26 REPLIES 26
Carelino
Visitor

Hard question huh lol:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Have you tried Partition Magic 8.0 ?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Carelino
Visitor

I used partition magic 8 to remove all data on the recovery partition. The partition still exists but because it's a primary disk I don't know how to add this partition to my c or d drive. Right now I have a 7 gb partition that is emty and i can't use. Since I am not allowed to move my C: drive to the left on top of the unallocated space because windows is running on it. Damm this really seems impossible....

Partition Magic will not restore recovery partition ofcourse....

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Is the primary drive the one with windows installed or is it the now empty recovery partition :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I created two dvd's with the recovery stuff on it with Vaio Recovery Tool. After creating the dvd's I made the parition unallocated (Everything removed) with Norton Partition Magic instead of using Vaio software....now I have a primary partition and I can't move the extra space to my d or c drive.

I want to recover the partition again, and want to know how to do this. I have the FE11S laptop.

If partiton magic does not seem to work for you, you could use your recovery DVD and follow the FE11S Vaio Recovery Procedure then at step 11 choose C and D drive recovery (change Partition sizes)

Carelino
Visitor

Yeah I know I have that option, but after installing everything already I ofcourse prefer NOT to remove anything. That would cost me a lot of work.

I actually dont want the recovery partition. I just want it so I can remove it again with Sony Recovery Tool. I made the mistake by removing Recovery Partition with Partition Magic. I want to use that space for my c or d drive without removing any data of my harddisk.

About your question wich one is the primary one...well both of the partitions are primary disks, but my c drive where windows media center is installed is active. Sony made the Recovery Partition a primary hidden harddisk. I removied all the data from Recovery Partition with Partition Magic. And now I am stuck with another Primary harddsik because I did not use Sony Recovery Tool to remove that Partition. IF I ONLY COULD TURN BACK TIME LOL :smileygrin:

Who knows a solution.....?

To bad you can't upload pictures here, very annoying....also this postedeting page is bad. When I want to add a Smilies it always puts it at the end of the document. Amateurs.....:smileytongue:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think you'll need some Linux partition manager which can reenable the partition, but it's dangerous

peter4654
Visitor

Beg, borrow or steal a Windows XP installation disk. Boot from it and select the unallocated partition. Format it as NTFS, then remove the disk before it starts to install Windows. As you'll now have a partition with an allocated drive letter, you should be able to merge it to another partition

svangis
Visitor

I used partition magic 8 to remove all data on the recovery partition. The partition still exists but because it's a primary disk I don't know how to add this partition to my c or d drive. Right now I have a 7 gb partition that is emty and i can't use. Since I am not allowed to move my C: drive to the left on top of the unallocated space because windows is running on it. Damm this really seems impossible....

Partition Magic will not restore recovery partition ofcourse....

hi everyone. this is my first club-vaio forum post.

I bought my vaio in germany last summer. when i first got it I was so excited I didnt realized that all the software was only supplied on the rec.partition. since I didnt understand german I quickly formatted and installed a version of XP in english.

now I regret and I want to have all the vaio stuff and ability to have a rec. partition. I spoke to some support people, but they couldnt guarantee me that I could get/buy a disc that I could use to set it all back again (and in english) - or if they could pick it up and reset it for me 😐

does anyone know if this has happened before?