Join now - be part of our community!

Revised post about touch pad mouse not working on FE11S

profile.country.en_GB.title
speedoman
Explorer

Revised post about touch pad mouse not working on FE11S

Hi, I’ve got the SONY VAIO VGN-FE11S, the touch pad mouse has stopped working. The BUILT IN POINTING DEVICE is enabled in the VAIO CONTROL CENTRE and the laptop works fine with an external USB mouse.

I've carried out the following but without any success:

1 system restore going back 1 day

2 loaded safe mode from advanced boot options

3 loaded last known good configuration from advanced boot options

4 disk defrag / scan disk

5 Mice and other Pointing Devices in device manager is not listed, however if i connect an external USB mouse to the laptop then it is listed and when I double click Mice and other Pointing Devices it shows HID-compliant mouse.

In c:\drivers there is a folder called pointing, all the files are in BLUE text and there are 5 application files listed together with other files.

However I’ve downloaded the drivers package from the sony web site and again there is a folder called pointing, all the files are in BLACK text, but the files are the same together with the file dates and again there are 5 application files listed together with other files. Double clicked 4 files and nothing happens except one file, the uninstaller file, double click it and OK to uninstall, tells me the driver is uninstalled, check device manager and again just the HID-compliant mouse is showing for the external USB mouse.

Restart and in device manager the touch pad mouse is now showing, it says ALPS POINTING DEVICE FOR VAIO with a quotation mark and yellow background, I go to update driver and choose windows to search for update, installs files to program files\apoint and then tells me to restart, after restarting ALPS POINTING DEVICE FOR VAIO is missing from device manager, but program files\apoint is still their, also note the pointing folder which I downloaded from sony onto my desktop has now disappeared from my desktop but the original pointing folder in c:\drivers is still their

Carried out the above again, downloaded driver from sony web site, but this time removed the driver from uninstall in program files\apoint, restarted, chose a manual location to install from in device manager this time, restarted, ALPS POINTING DEVICE FOR VAIO missing from device manager.

Just to confirm I have not touched the BLUE text files in c:\drivers (yet). I know reinstalling windows is a possibility that it may fix this problem but just wanted to hear any comments maybe from anyone first, thanks!!

ERROR CODE IN DEVICE MANAGER: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

11 REPLIES 11
speedoman
Explorer

Thanks Rich, i'll let you know how i got on!!

speedoman
Explorer

hi all, guess what! touch pad is working, turned over laptop just to see if philips screws or star head screws are used to secure back cover, turned laptop over again, started up and now working! if it happens again i'll take apart, Rich will be right, loose connection probably, thanks to you all for your time, effort and quick responses!!!!!!!!