Join now - be part of our community!

Right click freezes in Explorer on new Windows 8 Vaio

profile.country.en_GB.title
empompom
New

Right click freezes in Explorer on new Windows 8 Vaio

Pretty annoying this one... Just had a new Vaio delivered the other day with Win8 installed. Thing is it has a habit of freezing quite a bit, sometimes on the apps menu, or while I'm in the 'store', but especially when I'm right-clicking on a file within Explorer. It does eventually unfreeze, but after 5 minutes. Not exactly what I'd expect from a new computer/OS.

Anyone have any ideas if this is a common issue that can be fixed or whether there's a problem with the installation?

Message was edited by: empompom

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi empompom and welcome.

Freezing  when using right-click is most often caused by third party programs that add commands to the right-click context menu.

No point me asking what you have installed recently as I'm sure the answer will be 'everything'.

What is showing in your Context Menu?  Quite a few programs like WinRAR, anti-virus, Acrobat etc. add extra commands to the context menu.  Possibly some non-Microsoft program you are using is not fully compatible with Windows 8.

The only fix I know involves trial and error procedures.  There is a program called ShellExView.  No idea if it runs on Windows 8 - it is OK for XP, Vista & Win7

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

This will scan the Registry for shell extensions which you can sort by 'Type'.  Scroll to "Context Menu Handlers" and disable all the non-Microsoft context menu handlers one by one until you find the culprit.

Sorry it's not straightforward but hopefully you will find something listed in the menu when you right-click that will give you a clue.

McAfee? - I hate to kick a dog when it's down.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
empompom
New

Great. Thanks for this! It's seemed to have cleared up on its own, but I'll know where to look in future. Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That's good news!

I suspect something like McAfee has an incompatibility but quickly fixed it with an update!

:thinking: