Join now - be part of our community!

Right hand side numbers keypad not working; Num Lock?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
firecoral
Visitor

Right hand side numbers keypad not working; Num Lock?

Hello everyone

I am in-putting a lot of numerical data into an excel spreadsheet and cannot get the numbers keypad to work on the right hand side of my Vaio Laptop VPCEC4S0E.

I have tried every combination to try toget the Num Lock feature to work to enable the numbers to be used from this keypad but nothing happens. The arrow keys and Pg Up / Pg Dn etc etc work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi firecoral,

Those options are different to Vista.

I would initially uncheck ‘Turn on mouse keys’ and see whether that solves the problem. If not then experiment as you can always reverse any settings changed...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
firecoral
Visitor

Hi Rich, thank you very much for such a fast reply.

However, the Num Lk button appears to work fine when pressed and unpressed - lights up and an audible sound to show its on / off - but then when I try to type in numbers from the keypad, there is absolutely no response, even with the Num Lk light lit up. The numbers on the top line of my main keyboard work fine (but are slow to use when keying in lots of numbers).

In summary, even when the Num Lk button indicator is lit up to show its on and functioning, when I press any number on the right hand side keypad it does not display on screen - cursor just blinks. This is the same with any programme I use; both Word and Excel etc.

Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi firecoral,

Firstly apologies – the Num Lk should be ON not OFF...

Can you check that in Control Panel > Ease of Access Center (this is in Vista and Win 7 may vary slightly) that Mouse keys have not been activated (Control the mouse with the keyboard)?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
firecoral
Visitor

Hi Rich

Just checked and the following buttons are ALL checked:

turn on mouse keys

turn on mouse keys with left + left shift + num lock

Other Settings: use mouse keys when num lock is ON

Should I uncheck some of them?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi firecoral,

Those options are different to Vista.

I would initially uncheck ‘Turn on mouse keys’ and see whether that solves the problem. If not then experiment as you can always reverse any settings changed...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi firecoral,

Generally all that need to be done to use the keypad is to turn the Num Lk OFF – usually the key to the right of F12.

Rich

Edit: Num Lk should be ON

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
firecoral
Visitor

YES!!!!!! It worked.

You are a genius Rich!! This has been driving me mad for over 6 months.

Thank you very, very much for taking the time out to help someone unconditionally. What a nice person you are.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Excellent!

You’re very welcome:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

how to solve the same above issue for HP laptop

RIGHT HAND SIDE NUMBER KEY PAD IS NOT WORKING  EVEN NUM LOCK IS ON POSITION