Join now - be part of our community!

ROUTER FREEZES WHEN DOWNLOADING LARGE FILES

profile.country.en_GB.title
sanfran1
New

ROUTER FREEZES WHEN DOWNLOADING LARGE FILES

Hi
I am just after some general assistance. I have a NETGEAR WGT264 router connecting to a cable modem, but, when I am downloading torrent files, it seems to freeze, and then I can't even connect to the web. I am able to disconnect/reconnect about 3 times, and it kicks back into life -I but after that, I have to reset the router. Any assistance greatly appreciated. :thinking:

5 REPLIES 5
GavMack
Visitor

I presume your netgear model is a typo and it's a WGT624 which is a wireless router with a wan port for cable.

It sounds like a Netgear issue, go to the Netgear support website and download the latest firmware. There's numerous revisions of this model, check the label on the outside for which version (V2,3,4) and double check which revision via the router status page which is iirc www.routerlogin.net then download the correct model off the website. You must do the upgrade via cable else you can brick the router.

sanfran1
New

Hi
Thanks for this - it was a typo, it should be WGT624 and is V3H1 hardware, and V2.0.10_1.0.1 firmware. I have already logged on to the router, and checked for firmware updates - there are none.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi san fran,

I've just checked on the Netgear site and there appears to be updates for a WGT624v3 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router, you can view the available updates using this link: WGT624v3 Firmware Updates

@5528097000005097
Visitor

Your ISP may be throttling your broadband connection - they're not too keen on file sharing, it takes up a lot of bandwidth and pressure is mounting for providers to do something about the sometimes illegal distribution of copyright material.

sanfran1
New

Hi Thalamus
Thanks for this - when you sign on to the router, it asks you if you want it to check for updates, which I did, and it repeatedly found none !! I went to the page you pointed to, and downloaded that upgrade. I have managed to download 2 files without a freeze since - so, hopefully, problem solved !!!

Thanks to all for input.