Join now - be part of our community!

S5 Series (S5XP/S5VP) Overheating Problem

chesarino
Visitor

S5 Series (S5XP/S5VP) Overheating Problem

Hello!!

Anybody knows if the Vaio VGN-S5 Serie laptops have the same overheating problem than S4??

Thanks so much.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Aqui está o cooler para você usar ao laptop , pois é dificil mante-lo frio ( o laptop). Também tem a propriedade de adaptar ao laptop. Olhe aqui:VantecLaptopCoolers

diecerll
Visitor

Hello!!

Anybody knows if the Vaio VGN-S5 Serie laptops have the same overheating problem than S4??

Thanks so much.

Chesarino, actualiza la BIOS de tu VAIO que acaba de salir una nueva que mitiga el problema de calor con los S5.

Saludos.

chesarino
Visitor

Thanks TonyBeard!!
Thanks Diecer!!

The point is that I have a S4XP and I'm thinking about the possibility to change to a S5XP or S5VP.. but I want to be sure Series 5 do not have the overheating problem.

Cheers.
César

diecerll
Visitor

Thanks TonyBeard!!
Thanks Diecer!!

The point is that I have a S4XP and I'm thinking about the possibility to change to a S5XP or S5VP.. but I want to be sure Series 5 do not have the overheating problem.

Cheers.
César

I've the S4HP, and I think S5 have the same heat problem, but look here about new BIOS update:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=30288

Sony Europe has the same BIOS update on the VAIO-link Web, look the S5 models.

It seems that the BIOS could be used with the S4 series but at your own risk.

chesarino
Visitor

Muchas gracias Diecer!!

I see now....

Thanks so much!!

ant1uk
Visitor

here is my question on e-support and look at the response what a load of <profanity removed by moderator>, sony wont admit nothing, sorry for my language but they **** piss me off

Notes 10-Nov-2005

*** NOTES 10-Nov-2005 Action Type: Info
i have been on loads of websites looking at reports and reviews on the s series, it is known there is alot of heat from the bottom right, i have looked on the usa sites. now something has to be done.

Notes 10-Nov-2005 Stephen

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for contacting us. If the Vaio is overheating it will switch itself off and can only be switched back on when cooled down. I can find no mention of this being a known issue. The only issue that can be the cause is dust on the fan vents, using a compressed air spray on the fan outlet can clear this.

chesarino
Visitor

here is my question on e-support and look at the response what a load of <profanity removed by moderator>, sony wont admit nothing, sorry for my language but they **** piss me off 

Notes 10-Nov-2005

i have been on loads of websites looking at reports and reviews on the s series, it is known there is alot of heat from the bottom right, i have looked on the usa sites. now something has to be done.

Notes 10-Nov-2005 Stephen

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for contacting us. If the Vaio is overheating it will switch itself off and can only be switched back on when cooled down. I can find no mention of this being a known issue. The only issue that can be the cause is dust on the fan vents, using a compressed air spray on the fan outlet can clear this.

Amazing!!!!!

No mention of this being a know issue????... you can find hundreds of forum posts describing this problem in S Series... even you can find this info in the Sony official website:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=VGNS560P&news_id=86

Sorry it's in Spanish but describing this problem and saying it is a normal behaviour.

I would you recommend you reply them with this link and wait what no sense answer can give you now.

Cheers.
César

dubcat
Visitor

My S5XP gets hot. I have the updated bios. It never shuts down due to heat though. It just gets real hot. It is too hot to keep on your lap for any amount of time. I am kind of shocked at the heat compared to my IBM laptop.

As i said - if you are asking whether it shuts down then the answer is it does not. If you are asking if the computer gets hot to touch - then yes.. it does.

Dub

ant1uk
Visitor

My S5XP gets hot.  I have the updated bios.  It never shuts down due to heat though.  It just gets real hot.  It is too hot to keep on your lap for any amount of time.  I am kind of shocked at the heat compared to my IBM laptop.  

As i said - if you are asking whether it shuts down then the answer is it does not. If you are asking if the computer gets hot to touch - then yes.. it does.

Dub

im sorry to say welcome to the club of cooking of the s series. i have a VGN-S3XP. i cant believe this issue is still going on this just has gone on to long. i love my s3 and have got used to the heat and now it has just gone away. i cant explain how its gone away i dont know how.

there has been no change in the way sony make these units this just proves all they do is change the colour of the case put abit more RAM and GB and send them out as a new model.

i think i am right because i got my S3 in March and that was the lastest s series then. since then there has been the s4 and now the s5. i dont know why they keep changing the s numbers because nothing is different with them.