Join now - be part of our community!

Screen blanks out when power unplugged

MichaelKnight
Visitor

Screen blanks out when power unplugged

Hi all!
First of all, thanks in advance to everybody that will waste the time helping me :slight_smile:
I've got a TX3HP model, and I've recently get the Windows Vista Upgrade. I've spent all the weekend installing it, and it worked fine (well, a little bit slow 😞 ).
I've unplugged the power supply and everything went ok, but now, when It works only with battery, the screen switches off when passes 10 seconds. I can see the windows working, and the cursor shadow moves when I use the touchpad. The only way to switch it on is plugging the power again, and waiting a few seconds.
I think that is a BIOS upgrade problem, because it happens also when I try it in the BIOS menu, or in the InstantMode, only with the battery.
Well, I hope that anybody will help me. Thank you!!!

13 REPLIES 13
MichaelKnight
Visitor

By the way, I forgot to say that I've installed the latest BIOS update, and I tried to go back to the clean XP install, and it doesn't work 😞

lisa.cleverley
Visitor

Sounds like the settings on battery power make the monitor brightness very dull. It's a power saving feature. If it is this, it can be fixed...

Go to Start > Control panel > Power options > Click "Adjust the display brightness" link on the left > then make sure the sliders are both the same on plugged in and battery.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Lisa

MichaelKnight
Visitor

Sounds like the settings on battery power make the monitor brightness very dull. It's a power saving feature. If it is this, it can be fixed...

Go to Start > Control panel > Power options > Click "Adjust the display brightness" link on the left > then make sure the sliders are both the same on plugged in and battery.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. Now I've got XP Professional and I can locate this option. Anyway, I've tried to change the brightness through the hotkeys and It doesn't work 😞

lisa.cleverley
Visitor

You can do it the same way as I mentioned before on control panel with XP Professional too. I have XP Pro on my other laptop. :wink: Hope it works for you.

Lisa

lisa.cleverley
Visitor

Just for reference on XP it is...

Start > Control panel > Power options > VAIO Power management tab > Change in there.

If it's not clickable, click advanced in the power management tab and make sure the "Enable VAIO power management" is checked. Go back and adjust as needed :slight_smile:

Lisa

MichaelKnight
Visitor

You can do it the same way as I mentioned before on control panel with XP Professional too. I have XP Pro on my other laptop. :wink: Hope it works for you.

Lisa

Mmm, I can't find the place to do that. If I use the VAIO Power Management to do the same (adjust the brightness in the 2 conditions: with/without power supply), I can see how the screen goes a little darker than before, but when passes a lack of time It becomes totally blank. Strange, don't you think?

Maybe if I could restore the previous version of BIOS it would change. Does anybody know where I can find the original BIOS drivers of a TX3?

TIA

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

By the way, I forgot to say that I've installed the latest BIOS update, and I tried to go back to the clean XP install, and it doesn't work 😞

Hi Michael Knight,

Welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Did you use the Vaio recovery discs or a MS XP installation disc to install windows XP..?

If you would like to restore your Vaio back to the original XP OS and applications and the recovery partition has not been deleted you could try pressing F10 repeatedly when starting you vaio, this normally would start the recovery process.. :slight_smile:

MichaelKnight
Visitor

Hi Michael Knight,

Welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

If the recovery partition has not been deleted you could try pressing F10 repeatedly when starting you vaio, this normally would start the recovery process and would restore your Vaio back to the original XP OS and applications.. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Thalamus

Now I'm working with XP, restored in the same way that you mentioned before, but it still fails. I've check the BIOS number and It has not been restored, it's the last version (ended in 22)

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Micheal,

The recovery does not change the BIOS..?

What version BIOS do you currently have installed, is it R0022N3..?

Unfortunately I cannot find the earlier version, so I guess is not available for download, you could contact vaio-Link and ask them to supply you with the older BIOS, a phone call is probably the quickest method..

Are the function keys working now, as you mentioned earlier that that you tried to change the brightness through the hotkeys and It didn't work..?