Join now - be part of our community!

Screen constantly freezes and message says the display driver AMD stopped answering & has recovered - how can I solve this?

profile.country.sv_SE.title
roholmg68
Visitor

Screen constantly freezes and message says the display driver AMD stopped answering & has recovered - how can I solve this?

My laptop is (Sony Vaio, Windows 7, x86, VPCEB2S1E, Graphics Driver ATI) and my problem is that my screen all of a sudden freezes by itself. I then press ctrl alt and delete and sometimes I have to wait up to 7 minutes before my screen moves and the blue screen comes up with options. Sometimes a little box appears in down right corner of the screen saying: "The graphic drive routine stopped answering and has been recovered - The graphic drive routine (display driver) AMD stopped answering and has been recovered". I suspect something might be wrong with my graphic card, but I am no expert in this area. I wonder if anyone can help me to solve this problem that my screen freezes all of a sudden. I'd be very grateful for a solution. Thanks /Ronja

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ronja and welcome.

Can you confirm you have Windows 7 x86 installed - your model was sold with the 64-bit Windows 7 HP x64 installed.  Have you changed the Operating System?

Can you tell us which version of the ATi Graphics Driver you have installed at the moment?

What sort of things are you doing when the screen freezes?

:thinking:

profile.country.sv_SE.title
roholmg68
Visitor

Hi, thank you.

VPCEB2S1E

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Memory: 4,00 GB

ACPI x64-based PC

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz

I'm sorry about the x86, I was mistaken and it's indeed a x64 Windows I have and I did not change anything.

When my screen freezes I most often move the remote controller too fast or close an internet site too quickly or scroll down on a site too quickly, just whenever I do a quick movement. Although recently it has even froze when I am not even at the laptop at all. Just when I came back I noticed the screen was still and had to press ctrl alt delete as usual... and the message appears as I told above.

I'd be very grateful if you could help me